Is affirmative action REALLY fair?

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 10:24 am
In the interests of moving this discussion along, let me offer a hypothetical that might clarify Rosborne's stance on affirmative action as he understands it.

Suppose a university has an admissions policy, whereby it evaluates applicants based, initially, upon a combination of high school GPA and standardized test scores (objective measures), as well as extracurricular activities, personal essay, and recommendations (subjective measures). The university has one spot open in the incoming freshman class. There are two applicants for the spot. One is a white applicant with a 3.2 GPA, an SAT score of 1350, and subjective measures that are deemed above average. The other is a minority applicant with a 2.8 GPA, an SAT score of 1130, and subjective measures that are deemed to be average. The school does not have any minimum standards for admission, but it rarely accepts anyone with less than a 2.5 GPA, an SAT score below 1100, and any subjective measures that are deemed below average. On the other hand, it frequently accepts students who are above those marks. In the past, it has both accepted and rejected applicants with the kind of scores and subjective measures that both of these applicants present. Consequently, although the two applicants have markedly different objective and subjective measures, they are both minimally qualified to be admitted to the university.

The university decides to admit the minority applicant, based upon its commitment to diversity in the student body. In other words, the university relies upon an affirmative action policy to select the minority applicant.

Now, the questions:
1. Is this fair?
2. If it is not fair, why is it not fair?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 10:25 am
au, Good post. It explains the unfairness of reverse discrimination against whites that also immigrated to the US many years after slavery, and preferrential treatment of blacks and other minorities that have never suffered from slavery in the US.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 10:27 am
Blacks are now seeking reparations for slavery, but how does the government determine which blacks have really suffered from slavery in the US?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 11:38 am
joefromchicago wrote:
In the interests of moving this discussion along, let me offer a hypothetical that might clarify Rosborne's stance on affirmative action as he understands it.

Suppose a university has an admissions policy, whereby it evaluates applicants based, initially, upon a combination of high school GPA and standardized test scores (objective measures), as well as extracurricular activities, personal essay, and recommendations (subjective measures). The university has one spot open in the incoming freshman class. There are two applicants for the spot. One is a white applicant with a 3.2 GPA, an SAT score of 1350, and subjective measures that are deemed above average. The other is a minority applicant with a 2.8 GPA, an SAT score of 1130, and subjective measures that are deemed to be average. The school does not have any minimum standards for admission, but it rarely accepts anyone with less than a 2.5 GPA, an SAT score below 1100, and any subjective measures that are deemed below average. On the other hand, it frequently accepts students who are above those marks. In the past, it has both accepted and rejected applicants with the kind of scores and subjective measures that both of these applicants present. Consequently, although the two applicants have markedly different objective and subjective measures, they are both minimally qualified to be admitted to the university.

The university decides to admit the minority applicant, based upon its commitment to diversity in the student body. In other words, the university relies upon an affirmative action policy to select the minority applicant.

Now, the questions:
1. Is this fair?

No it is not fair. First, because you are rewarding somebody for something they have no control over. Second, you are taking away from somebody for reasons they have no control over. Third, you are accepting mediocrity which lowers the standards of the rest of the university. This makes it unfair for all of the other students already attending there. Fourth, you are showing the people that you are trying to help, that they don't really need to work as hard as everyone else because the color of their skin will make up for it.

Now some questions for you.
1.) If a person gets into a college simply by being average but having the right color skin, what makes you think they will try any harder once they are in college? Is this really helping him or merely giving him a free pass?

2.) Would you have a problem with the same hypothetical you have stated the tie-breaker went to the white applicant instead of the black applicant? If so, why is it all right to be one way and not the other?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 11:56 am
Assuming two candidates for college have equal qualifications, the fairest way is a coin toss.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 12:29 pm
Let them fight a duel and to the victor go the spoils. Under no circumstances should color or national origin be the defining factor. I would also submit that the chance of two applicants for the same slot have the exact same qualifications is a strawman argument. The chance of such occurring is infinitesimal at best.
As for AA it is a good idea gone awry. It turned out to be a pork barrel where the undeserved feasted
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 12:37 pm
au, I posted this yesterday. Posted: February 23rd 2005, 14:02 Post: 1190231 -

"No two humans are ever "equal" in anything."
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 01:36 pm
I will read the above posts when I have a chance, but I couldn't miss C.I.'s :
"Assuming two candidates for college have equal qualifications, the fairest way is a coin toss."
Does this apply where there are goals such as the achievement of an expanded gender or ethnic diversity in an institution in a manner that does not "unfairly" deprive someone of a property or right? I'm suggesting (following Joe, I think) that sometimes an affirmative action decision does not deprive majority applicants of a property or right because there are none in the first place.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 02:12 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Quote, "... we are better off WITH legislation that compels people to not just hire those they are "comfortable" with..." Show me how this never happens in the minority businesses.

Minority businesses are subject to the same laws, CI. And what do you mean "how far I take it"? What extreme are you accusing me of breaching? You seem to be attaching incongruous straw men to my words, then shooting them down. It seems as if you have an argument with something I've asserted here, which has been namely, and exclusively, just this: there is still a need for laws of fairness in hiring. Period. No hyperbole, hysteria, or redundancy. You have a problem with that, it's yours and yours alone.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 02:28 pm
We already have laws concerning discriminatory practices in hiring. There is no "need." It's a matter of enforcing what's already on the books.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 03:48 pm
I only suspected it before, but now I'm sure. You're tilting at windmills, man. I'm not even trying to disagree with you - You 're picking nits. I say there's a need for EO laws - you say there's no "need", just a need to enforce them. What the hell?!

I say that its a good thing that there are laws that exist for equal opportunity regardless of - well, you know the spiel. You can't even disagree with me, but you keep trying to appear to. What's up, CI?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 06:58 pm
JLNobody wrote:

Gungasnake, your generalizations about teaching are unfounded. I've studied four colleges and universities and taught for a quarter century in three institutions (one a community college, another a five year liberal arts college, and the other--for 23 years--a major university, and the most obvious characteristic of every one of these schools is that every teacher had his/her own, and sometimes ideosyncratic, style of teaching. There are many ways to rank schools, but teaching techniques and styles are not among them.

I'm only describing what I've seen. Granted my last contact with colleges was over a decade ago, I doubt that sort of thing would have changed much.

Aside from teaching styles, as of the last I'd ever heard a number of major kinds of schools had degenerated into political correctness factories which I could not easily advocate attending either but, again, my last info is dated.

Is there anything out there which might amount to an updated version of DeSousa's "Illiberal Education"?
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 07:37 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

Now, the questions:
1. Is this fair?

The problem with your hypothetical, Joe, is that AA isn't only for the last spot in the freshman class. Affirmative action is not used as a tie breaker. Once again, your hypothetical is irrelevent.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 07:40 pm
Hey snood, no need to get your shorts all twisted. As Norm said, "if you sit long enough, they tend to correct itself!" No nits on my part; and I don't have the energy to tilt windmills. Hear about the latest suit against WalMart? They're enforcing equal opportunity there, and those ladies are collecting millions. They're enforcing the laws - already on the books. Ain't that sum'tn.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:29 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Hey snood, no need to get your shorts all twisted. As Norm said, "if you sit long enough, they tend to correct itself!" No nits on my part; and I don't have the energy to tilt windmills. Hear about the latest suit against WalMart? They're enforcing equal opportunity there, and those ladies are collecting millions. They're enforcing the laws - already on the books. Ain't that sum'tn.

Sure is - nuthin to do with anything I've said, but sumthin'!!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 09:09 am
As to the basic problem of AA...

If affirmative action weren't such an atrocious idea to begin with, you might could have made a case for it in the single case of the black man who you might could claim was dragged over here in chains, had a major hand in building the country early on, and was systematically denied a share of the proceeds.

But from day one, true to form for a left-wing program, AA has been for everybody on the planet EXCEPT the white male. This includes women, who are more than 50% of the earth's population, eskimos, Formosans (whom the US owes precisely nothing), Mexicans (whom the US owes precisely nothing), Fiji islanders, penguins, seals, bears, and everybody on the planet except white males.

In other words, what might have been a program to remedy an injustice has from day one actually amounted to a hate-motivated, left-wing liberal scheme of racism intended to harm the white male. The most astonishing thing about it is that ALL white men in the United States haven't joined the Klan by now.

As far as AA in schools goes, if you were to eliminate the real problem, i.e. the debilitating effect of the left-wing, liberal, demokkkrat NEA education monopoly on inner city schools, you would not need AA in colleges. It's like David Horowicz notes, the demokkkrats have created a horrendous problem, and are willing to move heaven and Earth via this AA war to divert people's attention from the real problem they have created.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 09:31 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
No it is not fair. First, because you are rewarding somebody for something they have no control over. Second, you are taking away from somebody for reasons they have no control over.

We routinely reward and punish people for things over which they have no control. In the context of college admissions, we can see this in both legacy admissions and the preference given by state schools to in-state students. Since students have no control over the alumni status of their parents and practically no control over where they live, such preferences should be just as objectionable as race-based criteria.

In a broader sense, students are also punished or rewarded based upon their families' economic status, another factor over which they have little control. Students who can attend the best schools, afford tutors and other academic help, and avail themselves of diverse cultural opportunities are more likely to get better grades and score higher on college entrance exams than students with meager economic resources. Yet students have very little control over their economic status either.

To say, then, that race should not be considered because it is beyond the control of the applicants is to single out race as the one uncontrollable factor, among many, that should not be considered. And if race is singled out for this kind of special treatment, the question remains: why is it impermissible to consider race when we consider other uncontrollable factors?

jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Third, you are accepting mediocrity which lowers the standards of the rest of the university. This makes it unfair for all of the other students already attending there.

How is accepting the minority student in my hypothetical "accepting mediocrity?" Are you suggesting that the minority applicant will inevitably be a worse student than the white applicant?

jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Fourth, you are showing the people that you are trying to help, that they don't really need to work as hard as everyone else because the color of their skin will make up for it.

I'm sure minority students would answer that they work twice as hard just to overcome the discrimination that they face every day. In any event, remember that, in my hypothetical, both of the students are qualified. So even the minority applicant has worked at least as hard as some other students who have already been admitted to the college.

jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Now some questions for you.
1.) If a person gets into a college simply by being average but having the right color skin, what makes you think they will try any harder once they are in college? Is this really helping him or merely giving him a free pass?

Unlike you, I cannot predict how well or poorly a student might do once they have been admitted to a college. Furthermore, I don't think anyone honestly can predict that. And that goes for both minority and white students. At most, a college can rely upon past performance to estimate the likelihood of a student succeeding or failing. In addition, the affirmative action policy for a college's admissions does nothing to aid the student after s/he has been accepted. Once the student has gotten a foot in the door, that particular affirmative action "bonus" has expired.

jpinMilwaukee wrote:
2.) Would you have a problem with the same hypothetical you have stated the tie-breaker went to the white applicant instead of the black applicant? If so, why is it all right to be one way and not the other?

If, for instance, a historically black college wanted to attract white students, I wouldn't have a problem with it crafting an affirmative action policy to attract whites, just as historically all-women's colleges have used a version of affirmative action to attract men. If diversity is a worthwhile goal, then a college is permitted to fashion an admissions policy that aims to achieve that goal.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 10:04 am
Interesting stats at UM. http://www.freep.com/news/education/gap20e_20050120.htm
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 10:39 am
CarbonSystem wrote:
The problem with your hypothetical, Joe, is that AA isn't only for the last spot in the freshman class. Affirmative action is not used as a tie breaker. Once again, your hypothetical is irrelevent.

A couple of comments:

1. You misunderstand the nature of hypotheticals. They are designed to focus on the essentials of a problem. It is true that college admissions decisions rarely come down to a choice between two applicants for a single spot, but that scenario is a lot easier to handle than, say, a situation where there are 20,986 applications for 2,056 spots (as was the case last year at Harvard).

2. Affirmative action is frequently used as a tie-breaker. In the area of college admissions, the explicit use as a tie-breaker is not common. The US Supreme Court, in Grutter v. Bollinger, endorsed a "holistic" approach to affirmative action that included race as one factor among many. Although race is part of the "mix," it can still be the determinative factor (or "tie-breaker") in any one particular admissions decision.

The use of race as an explicit tie-breaker is more often encountered in employment decisions, where it is much more likely that there will be a limited number of applicants for a single position. To take one example, the Portland State Univ. affirmative action policy states:
    To be included in a candidate pool applicants must meet competitive selection standards. If candidates are equal in ability, then race or sex may be factored in as a criteria as a "tie-breaker" when deciding between or among finalists for a position.
It should be noted that a panel of the 9th circuit court of appeals ruled last year that a Seattle school district's use of race as a tie-breaker was unconstitutional. That ruling, however, has been vacated and the case is now being reviewed by the entire court.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 10:46 am
joefromchicago wrote:

We routinely reward and punish people for things over which they have no control. In the context of college admissions, we can see this in both legacy admissions and the preference given by state schools to in-state students. Since students have no control over the alumni status of their parents and practically no control over where they live, such preferences should be just as objectionable as race-based criteria.

That is false. Changing states is an option for any student wanting to gain in-state tuition rates. I moved from Illinois to Wisconsin for this very reason. Changing the color of ones skin isn't... unless you're Micheal jackson.

joefromchicago wrote:
In a broader sense, students are also punished or rewarded based upon their families' economic status, another factor over which they have little control. Students who can attend the best schools, afford tutors and other academic help, and avail themselves of diverse cultural opportunities are more likely to get better grades and score higher on college entrance exams than students with meager economic resources. Yet students have very little control over their economic status either.

I might be inclined to agree eith you on this one, but this is still a factor that can be changed. The color of one's skin can not.

joefromchicago wrote:

How is accepting the minority student in my hypothetical "accepting mediocrity?" Are you suggesting that the minority applicant will inevitably be a worse student than the white applicant?

Yes. He has already proven that with his grade point average and his SAT scores.

joefromchicago wrote:

I'm sure minority students would answer that they work twice as hard just to overcome the discrimination that they face every day.

That doesn't make it true.

joefromchicago wrote:
In any event, remember that, in my hypothetical, both of the students are qualified. So even the minority applicant has worked at least as hard as some other students who have already been admitted to the college.

Not true. The white aplicant has a higher GPA and a higher SAT score. Even if the minority student worked equally as hard, or harder, than the white student, the white student has shown the better ability to retain and use that knowledge by getting the higher GPA and SAT scores.

joefromchicago wrote:

Unlike you, I cannot predict how well or poorly a student might do once they have been admitted to a college. Furthermore, I don't think anyone honestly can predict that. And that goes for both minority and white students. At most, a college can rely upon past performance to estimate the likelihood of a student succeeding or failing.

I agree, and given past performances by both students the white applicant has a better track record of succeeding then the minority student.

joefromchicago wrote:

In addition, the affirmative action policy for a college's admissions does nothing to aid the student after s/he has been accepted. Once the student has gotten a foot in the door, that particular affirmative action "bonus" has expired.

Perhaps.

joefromchicago wrote:

If, for instance, a historically black college wanted to attract white students, I wouldn't have a problem with it crafting an affirmative action policy to attract whites, just as historically all-women's colleges have used a version of affirmative action to attract men. If diversity is a worthwhile goal, then a college is permitted to fashion an admissions policy that aims to achieve that goal.

I think this is where we have a difference. Diversity is a worthwhile goal, but it isn't the only worthwhile goal. I didn't attend the school I attended because it was diverse, I attended it to get an education. The goals of our universities should be to provide the people attending there the best education they can possibly get. Race should not play in issue in it.

My feeling is, instead of letting either student in your hypothetical in to the school, we should be raising the standards of our schools instead of letting in mediocre students.
0 Replies