Does "This source of feeling" refer to "the aspiration"?

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 03:07 am

Context:

Now, even though the realms of religion and science in themselves are clearly marked off from each other, nevertheless there exist between the two strong reciprocal relationships and dependencies. Though religion may be that which determines the goal, it has, nevertheless, learned from science, in the broadest sense, what means will contribute to the attainment of the goals it has set up. But science can only be created by those who are thoroughly imbued with the aspiration toward truth and understanding. This source of feeling, however, springs from the sphere of religion. To this there also belongs the faith in the possibility that the regulations valid for the world of existence are rational, that is, comprehensible to reason. I cannot conceive of a genuine scientist without that profound faith. The situation may be expressed by an image: science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.

More:
http://cerf-institute.org/2012/10/30/albert-einstein-on-science-and-religion/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 718 • Replies: 16
No top replies

McTag

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 06:38 am
@oristarA,

No. It describes where the feeling comes from.

Look in your dictionary for "source". This is the primary meaning for "source". It's difficult to think of a better synonym for this fundamental meaning: starting point? origin? Source is better.
oristarA

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 07:41 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

No. It describes where the feeling comes from.

Look in your dictionary for "source". This is the primary meaning for "source". It's difficult to think of a better synonym for this fundamental meaning: starting point? origin? Source is better.

Cool.
Does "the feeling" refer to "the aspiration"?
McTag

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 09:33 am
@oristarA,

No, aspiration is hope, even ambition. Have you lost your dictionary? Wink
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 09:37 am
@McTag,
Whence the feeling, as per the text?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 09:50 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

No, aspiration is hope, even ambition. Have you lost your dictionary? Wink

So "the feeling" is just referred to as in the context of generally speaking? Is it the sense (we all have five)?
McTag

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 01:26 pm
@oristarA,

Not quite, and nothing to do with the five senses.

If you have a "feeling" about something, you have an emotion or belief that it is true. It could be a bad feeling: a sense of foreboding. Or a good feeling, of optimism or happiness. A "feeling" could take many forms.
It could be an opinion for which you have no supporting evidence or facts: you just have a "feeling". I've got a feeling it might rain soon. I've got a feeling my horse will not win this race.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 10:00 pm
McTag's is a misleadingly simplistic definition of the word "aspiration," having left out the pertinent ones of, "a strong desire for high achievement," (American Heritage Dictionary) "a strong desire, longing or hope (Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary)."

Going by these, "the source of feeling" does refer to "the aspiration."
McTag

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 03:26 am
@InfraBlue,

Quote:
McTag's is a misleadingly simplistic definition of the word "aspiration,"

I respectfully disagree. My reply was neither misleading nor simplistic. And you are quite wrong in your final sentence.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 12:44 pm
@McTag,
So then, what is the source of feeling referred to in the text?
McTag

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 03:06 pm
@InfraBlue,

I doubt you would value guidance from one whose posts you deem to be misleading or simplistic.

The text luckily is fairly self-explanatory, so have another go.
oristarA

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 11:52 pm
Debate helps in better understanding.
Another question, "to this" refers to "to the sphere of religion" or refers to "to this source of feeling"in "This source of feeling, however, springs from the sphere of religion. To this there also belongs the faith in the possibility that the regulations valid for the world of existence are rational, that is, comprehensible to reason"?
layman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 03:05 pm
@oristarA,
From what I can tell, after reading the entire article, Al is saying that religion is the source of both:

1." aspiration toward truth and understanding" and
2 "the faith in the possibility that the regulations valid for the world of existence are rational, that is, comprehensible to reason."

Elsewhere he says such things as:

Quote:
For science can only ascertain what is, but not what should be....religion is the age-old endeavor of mankind to become clearly and completely conscious of these values and goals.... science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 08:10 pm
@McTag,
Your definition of the word "aspiration" is misleading because you'd have us believe that yours is the only definition of the word. It's simplistic because you provided an irrelevant meaning of the word, neglecting to provide the pertinent definitions.

You asked Oristar if he had lost his dictionary. It seems that yours is deficient.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 08:11 pm
The way I read the text, "this source of feeling" refers to "aspiration," which itself "springs from the sphere of religion."
layman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 08:29 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
The way I read the text, "this source of feeling" refers to "aspiration," which itself "springs from the sphere of religion."

Me too. That appears to be the intended meaning, although the choice of wording creates some confusion and could be improved upon. The problem I have with the wording as it is resides in the word "source." As I interpret it, the word "source" should have either (1) been omitted entirely or (2) replaced with a word such as type, kind, variety, etc. The actual "source" seems to be the "sphere of religion," not aspiration itself. But the intended reference, however worded, nonetheless seems to be to the "feeling of aspiration."

It is possible that he really intended to say "the source of this feeling" but misspoke.

As is usually the case, Oris's inability to readily understand does not appear to due to his own deficiency but rather to the imprecise useage of the authors he is reading.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 04:21 am
@InfraBlue,
It might not surprise you to know that I don't agree with that either. Any of it.

You have turned the whole thing around, in an illogical way, and a dishonest way. An aspiration can be modest as well as grandiose.
0 Replies