WBYeats

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 11:17 am
-__ physical contact among them will alter things again.

My opinion: Using one in the blank is wrong, and no word should be used. If you are talking one, two, three, etc. contacts, you are talking about people or an occasion on which you meet or communicate with somebody eg They had bad contacts with the community. But the sentence above is nothing of this kind, so using one is wrong. Do you agree?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 487 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 03:34 pm
The only opinion i have to offer is that it's an idiotic sentence. "Physical contact?" What, fist fights? I will once again offer the opinion that the author of the texts you are using is not a native-speaker of English.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 04:14 pm
@WBYeats,
"Any" would work.

I'd change "will" to "would," however.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 03:43 am
Thank you Setanta, and InfraBlue. But for Blue, if you think 'one' is wrong in the sentence, and 'one' cannot be used to describe 'physical contact' in that case, then what is the idiomatic English to refer to 'one act of physical contact'?(=the slightest contact, etc.)
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 01:28 pm
Physical contact is a very general category. You'd have to be specific to use the word "one," e.g. "One kiss, one touch, one noogie, etc."
WBYeats

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 10:47 pm
@InfraBlue,
Excellent answer. Thank you.
0 Replies