English into Aramaic

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 04:11 am
Edit [Moderator]: Moved from Reference to Other Languages.

Hi,

I'm not sure I seriously expect anyone to be able to help with this but I thought I'd give it a go anyway. My boyfriend is in the British Army and wants to get a tattoo done. He wanted it in Aramaic originally, although after saying he didn't know how to get an aramaic translation done, he said he'd settle for Latin. I have the Latin translation for him, but I thought I'd try and get the aramaic one as well - to surprise him. The phrase I'd like translated is " Only God will judge me." Anyone got any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,196 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Galilite

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 04:45 am
I can give you Hebrew translation, it's close:

רק אלוהים ישפוט אותי

although I have no idea how the tattoo master will be able to carve the letters s/he is not familiar with.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 08:09 am
Your Question
Search for Language Translation Services-Aramaic-English.
Suggest a search on Google.com.
Also: Try talking your friend out of a tatoo. Most people live to regret ever getting tatoos. Smile
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 08:09 am
Your Question
Also: Try talking your friend out of a tatoo. Most people live to regret ever getting tatoos. Smile
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 08:15 am
Re: Your Question
Chuckster wrote:
Very unlikely.

A machine translation system for this language pair? Probability of 0.000000001%.

Human translation services?.. I don't believe someone would build their career on that.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 09:10 am
Suspend your disbelief. If it works you buy lunch. If not.
You are an appealing person when you smile.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 09:11 am
Suspend your disbelief. If it works you buy lunch. If not.
You are an appealing person when you smile.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 10:41 am
Start Here
This is for you.

Paste this in your address bar and click "Go".

http://www.GOOGLE.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Aramaic-English+Translation+Services&btnG=Google+Search

People who do this for a living will sometime give samples to beautiful girls who ask nicely.

My bill is in the mail. Very Happy
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 10:43 am
Start Here
This is for you.

Paste this in your address bar and click "Go".

http://www.GOOGLE.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Aramaic-English+Translation+Services&btnG=Google+Search

People who do this for a living will sometime give samples to beautiful girls who ask nicely.

My bill is in the mail. Very Happy
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 09:06 am
Re: Start Here
Chuckster wrote:
This is for you...
Yes, Google definately returns some results.

You might want to try looking at them though. There is 1 (one) human translator whose main specialty is Arabic; he knows Aramaic, but doesn't specialize in it. The rest relate to Bible translations and other stuff. Whaddya gonna do if the guy is happily married Wink ?

Nothing personal, I just like accuracy, and, as the button with triple W below this message testifies, I'm a little into automatic translation stuff.
0 Replies

lj102800

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 01:43 pm
Thanks for your post, Chuckster. I wouldn't try talking him out of getting a tattoo though - there's no point, he's got loads already. And I don't regret having mine done.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 04:42 pm
Well good! Just wanted to be helpful. It probably is not a hot news item that tatoos are taboo and that diplomacy is in need of translation as well. Have fun. Hope you meet lots of nice people here too.
0 Replies

mrkoi9

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 05:18 pm
http://www.atour.com/cgi-bin/lexicon.cgi

might be too late but I found a aramaic lexicon just a few minutes ago, I came upon this post while searching for it.

Anywyas, thought i'd let you know.
0 Replies