but this work was sidelined throughout the 1930s courtesy of Arthur Eddington’s torpedoes?

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 10:29 am
Does "but this work was sidelined throughout the 1930s courtesy of Arthur Eddington’s torpedoes" mean "throughout the 1930s, this work was forced to come into obscurity because Arthur Eddington's powerful influence"?

Context:

• Chandra was extraordinary. However, this was recognised very late. Arthur I. Miller, in his book Empire of the Stars, refers to him as a “reluctant astrophysicist”: really, Chandra wanted to be a theoretical physicist, but this work was sidelined throughout the 1930s courtesy of Arthur Eddington’s torpedoes. A succession of the “greats” chose to ignore his contributions until the mid-1940s, a situation that Chandra resigned himself to. In an interview with Spencer Weart in 1977 (see bit.ly/pw1xIz), he admitted that he saw himself as the kind of scientist who helps others make breakthroughs, rather than make them himself.

More:
https://www.newscientist.com/letter/mg21128251-000-chandras-life/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 357 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 11:04 am
This work was sidelined throughout the 1930s courtesy of Arthur Eddington's severe criticisms, which had an effect on Chandrasekhar's career comparable to the effect torpedoes have on a ship.
oristarA

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 11:46 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

This work was sidelined throughout the 1930s courtesy of Arthur Eddington's severe criticisms, which had an effect on Chandrasekhar's career comparable to the effect torpedoes have on a ship.

Thanks.
But I failed to get "sidelined throughout the 1930s courtesy". Does it mean "put on the shelf/laid aside and neglected throughout the 1930s by the force of Eddington's criticisms"?
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 12:25 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
But I failed to get "sidelined throughout the 1930s courtesy". Does it mean "put on the shelf/laid aside and neglected throughout the 1930s by the force of Eddington's criticisms"?

Yes. "Courtesy of" used like this means "because of".
0 Replies