Should I leave my wife for my new lover?

yb0413

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 08:39 am
I am 28 years old and have been married for 3 years. My wife and I have been together for 8 years and have a 2 year old son together. We've had many good years together but our relationship took a hit after our son was born.

I have not always been faithful to my wife and have strayed from my marriage on a few occasions. These were not affairs but simply one night stands to satisfy my sexual needs. I am not proud of this at all and I am hoping that I can one day be a faithful husband.

Approximately 5 months ago, I had an affair with a female co-worker, whom I'll refer to as RL. RL was new to the office and I was assigned to coach her in her new position. We spent our entire days together and got to know each other very well. What started off as a friendship quickly turned into flirting and inappropriate behaviour.

Within a few weeks we started sleeping together and agreed that we were only doing that to satisfy our sexual impulses. RL is single and 4 years younger than me, and she was aware that I was married and had a son. The arrangement worked out for a few weeks but it didn't take long for feelings to start creeping up.

We had amazing sex together and truly enjoyed each other's company. I couldn't get enough of her and hated parting ways at the end of the day. This behaviour obviously affected my marriage which was starting to fall apart. My wife suspected that something was going on but never called me out on it.

RL never asked me to leave my wife but made it clear that she wanted to be with me if my marriage didn't work out. We both fell in love with each other and our feelings have gotten stronger as time went on.

Approximately 1 month ago, my wife caught me texting RL in the middle of the night. I erased the conversation which was obviously inappropriate and confessed to having an emotional affair with RL. I couldn't tell her that we slept together as I felt like she would walk out on me right away and hate me forever.

This crushed my wife emotionally and I could never have imagined the amount of pain this would have caused her. I stopped seeing RL and told her I needed some time to sort out my life. My wife and I went to see a marriage counsellor in an attempt to get some insight on how to repair the damage I had caused. The counsellor decided that we should first seek therapy on an individual basis in order to work on our personal issues.

I have done 3 sessions with a different counsellor so far and I feel like I'm not making much progress. I still can't stop thinking about RL and what my life would be like if we were together. I'm also unable to leave my family because I know it's the wrong thing to do.

My biggest challenge is that I still run into RL on a weekly basis at work. We are no longer in the same office but my wife knows that we will still have to work together. This is affecting her greatly and it's also affecting me because every time I see her my feelings for her creep up. To make matters worse, RL lives a few blocks away from me and we are in a small town (approximately 1500 people).

To sum up.. I simply don't know what to do anymore.. Do I leave my wife to be with RL? Or do I stick it out with my wife and try to repair the damage I've done? And if so how to I get over this affair which has gotten so complicated and affected so many people…

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 877 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 08:52 am
@yb0413,
You wrote a thread about this in July and received several answers. Why the repeat post?

Nevertheless...

Life marches on. You're doing what you need to do ..receiving counseling and working on what you committed to with your wife. The grass is always greener, etc.

For more than just for your own marriage and your own situation, allow the pat remain in the past.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 09:38 am
@yb0413,
There is nothing in here about your feelings for your wife or your child.

You overstepped your boundaries at work, big time. Forget that this RL was willing. You took advantage of a mentoring relationship. If I were your boss, I would fire you for that ****.

I think this is the fourth time today I've advocated for counseling. I am sounding like a broken record to myself.

But I am going to advocate for it here, too. I know you are going - but go to a different one if this one is not working for you. Go alone at first. Find out why you are engaging in what is pretty much like destructive behavior. Figure out what is missing from your life that you are looking for these kinds of thrills.

And forget about RL - and possibly seek new employment. I ain't kiddin'. Your behavior - both of you; she is not innocent in this - is reprehensible. Find other work before you're fired. And then you'll really experience the tongues wagging in your small town.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 12:20 pm
@yb0413,
Counselling was recommended to you in July.

You continued merrily along with RL til your wife busted you.

I think your wife deserves much better than you. Your son deserves far far better.

Continue with your counselling. Make yourself unavailable to RL. Ask your wife what you can do to try to regain her trust. Deal with it if it's not possible. Grow up.

0 Replies

shawn77bird

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 07:31 pm
@yb0413,
okay bro, i hope you seek God in this adultery matter and free yourself from R.I.you say you sought counseling but I am here to prayerfully help you do some soul searching and repent.you say you work with her ,well,bro,yield not to temptation.Bible Summary. Deuteronomy 22:22 defines adultery as “…lying with a woman married to an husband…”. Adultery is an unfaithful act committed against a marriage partner. One of the Ten Commandments is "Do not commit adultery". From God's perspective, adultery is a work of the flesh and it is as bad as committing heresies and even murder. God considers adultery and infidelity in marriage as an unrighteous act. Adultery starts in a person's heart and is a willful act no matter who is the tempter and who is tempted. The basic definition of adultery is from Deuteronomy 22:22. Adultery is “…lying with a woman married to an husband…” Adultery is defined as a married person has sex with someone outside the marriage. God considers adultery a sin and it is one of the ten commandments.Adultery is a Sin.

Adultery is an unrighteous act. In no circumstances can it please God when a person commits adultery. Adultery starts where a person lusts for someone that is not their spouse. God is not pleased when a person covets someone outside of marriage. This is a slippery slope that will lead to adultery.Adultery Comes From Within Our Own Heart.

Adultery is committed by two willing partners. One person in the relationship may have been the temptress or tempter, but the other person accepted the temptation. When we have lust in our eyes for a person who is married to another, God considers us adulterers.

See Scripture Commentary: Matthew 5:28 advises us that adultery starts in our hearts.

Adultery is a Work of the Flesh.

Most societies do not consider adultery a crime. Things like littering and illegal parking are a crime, but not adultery. On the other hand, the Bible categorizes adultery with murder, heresies, and other works of the flesh.

See Scripture Commentary: Galatians 5:19 defines adultery as a work of the flesh.
0 Replies