Women select thin men as marriage material? Where is it ?!

Ste66

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 05:53 pm
I recently read an article, probably on Netscape or in the news in the last month, that suggested women would select "hunks" for one-night stands, etc. but "skinny" men as long-term marriage material. Less likely to run off etc. It was some sociology stuff and pretty serious as I recall. I say serious but, well, you know!

Now, I'm not interested in people's points of views or preferences - all I want is the source of the article or the original research - anybody remember it? I'd love to be able to cite it at some point.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 770 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 06:04 pm
I googled and couldn't come up with anything.

But no fair cutting off debate like that... This is a place where we encourage people to discuss points of views and preferences. Isn't that what makes life interesting?

I am a non-hunk in a long-term marriage who was not often selected for one-night stands (not for lack of trying when I was younger.)

But all I always really wanted someone to love me for my brains...
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:02 pm
ebrown took the words right out of my mouth.

Back at college I couldn't gain weight to save my life (regrettably now I have the opposite problem). Like ebrown, I "was not often selected for one-night stands". But I did manage to find a pretty good wife. We celebrated our 25th anniversary this past June.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:07 pm
Congrats Jim.

I am about to celebrate our 2nd anniversery of what I know is the start of a very long term marriage.
0 Replies

DreamInTheNight

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 07:26 am
You need to focus, and meditate more. Your Google FU is weak. Cool

http://health.discovery.com/news/healthscout/article.jsp?aid=518456&tid=16

The women I knew in college dated alot of guys who may not have been the best for them, but when they had decided they wanted to settle down, they did marry skinny men who had never had a girlfriend before.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:01 am
Very nice Dream.

You are the Man ... or Woman ... or whatever you are!
0 Replies

Ste66

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 09:36 am
Ta very much DreamInTheNight and everyone else. I suppose I owe everyone the courtesy of an explanation?

Met a wonderful girl, definitely "The One" material, in February and we were dating since. However - she just broke up with me [sniff] citing I wasn't her type - for example, she preferred more muscular men. Funny, she didn't complain for 4.5 months!!!

Secretly, I think it's because I just met her mother and she vetoed the deal. Probably cos I don't earn enough money - and there's me thinking my PhD and professorship made me a good catch! Oh well!

Still, now I can have a bit of fun with her using this and maybe I'll get to see her sweet smile again...

Oh and I am 38, though she always made me feel 17
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 06:23 pm
ste66, first off, sorry for the lower cases...i'm holding my sleeping little one in my left arm. from what you've described, i think that this gal is moving on for reasons other than for the fact that you are too skinny. it just didn't click for her, and this is a way for her to get out without hurting you...or without being too critical. i think. and i bet her mom had nothing to do with it either. if she did break up because of money...you do not want a gal like that anyhow. she would be too difficult to please. you sound like such a nice catch, you should let another girl have a chance! 38 is young. i am 34, and married 3 years ago one helluva 38 year old...he's still a babe. and he's not skinny. he's a sexy smarty.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 06:34 pm
In anthropological debate in (and after) college, we discussed this concept. (I'm having deja vu as I type this, so sorry if it's somehow a repeat). There is a balance that a woman must strike (and I suppose to some degree a man must find the balance as well).

That balance is between the archtypical brawny man who we want to give us strong and attractive offspring and the archtype of a reliable guy who'll offer us help raising our children over a long period time.

The balance, of course, is not one size fits all.
0 Replies