Can someone please take a look at my entire college essay?

akshar

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2015 04:04 pm
I need someone to look at my college essay, I do have my English teacher that can look at it, but she really doesn't look for grammar she checks the overall layout and such.

Topic: Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.

My parents from the beginning had tried very hard to make it their goal to see me go to college. They put a great amount of pressure on me to get a good education as well as good grades, their expectations, no matter how well I did, could be meet most of the time. Once in my junior high years I had come home with my report card and received straight A’s. I thought they would be very proud of me, but on the contrary as I handed them the report card they had notice I received a three out of four on my self-directed learner grade and got very mad. In my mind I was thinking it didn’t matter what that grade was as long as all my academic grades were in order. Throughout the years they did this, they set the bar higher and higher as I did better. I didn’t realize it at the time but now I know that it wasn’t for nothing. They knew the overall goal was to get into college and that could only be done by pushing me to my limit.
The moment I entered high school I knew my goal from that very moment. It didn’t seem hard, it didn’t seem impossible, but it would be the first time anyone in my family had ever achieved it. It was to go to a university. I would be the very first in my family, this put a lot of pressure on me. Both my parents had come to the United States in their mid-twenties looking to find the great things they once heard about back in India. One of those things was the American Dream. They heard that the American Dream was achievable no matter your ethnicity or status as long as they were willing to try. I think it’s true that anyone can achieve anything as long as they set their minds to it.
When my parents first got here they worked very hard. My mom worked two jobs. Both paid very little. My dad worked a job and went to a community college to get an Associate’s Degree in Electrical Technology. My mom knew the bare minimum of English, while my dad was somewhat able to speak it. This made it hard to interact with many people here.
All in all, my biggest goal in life has been to go to college and a degree in Computer Engineering. When I was in the sixth grade my parents found me taking apart our brand new laptop and trying to install an old memory unit which held much more. Every since then it fascinated me how computers are able to do so many things despite being less than two feet in size. I will not only be satisfying myself but will make my parents extremely proud if I do. I hope to go to college so I can take care of a family of my own and obtain a job in a field in which I am happy in.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 733 • Replies: 0
No top replies