Question about the punctuation

Nat093

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 05:14 am
Can you tell me where I should put the full stop in the sentence below, before or after the closing quotation mark?
1. One day, she found a wallet with a note saying, “Don’t open me.”
2. One day, she found a wallet with a note saying, “Don’t open me”.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 623 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 05:28 am
@Nat093,
Before!
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 05:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Before!

After the quotation mark in British English, before the quotation mark in American English. However users of both variants often ignore their own convention.

A reasonably good summary of the differences and shared usages:

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/quotation_%28speech%29_marks_punctuation_in_or_out.htm

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 05:36 am
American practice would be before the quotation mark. British practice would be after. Additionally, British usage (in my experience) would not employ what Americans call quotation marks. They would use what Americans call a "single quote" and they would call it an inverted comma.

American usage: One day, she found a wallet with a note saying, “Don’t open me.”

British usage: One day, she found a wallet with a note saying, 'Don’t open me'.
Nat093

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 05:56 am
@Setanta,
OK, so following the American rules, in a sentence such as: My favourite song is “Stairway to Heaven” (where there is a song title at the end), I should also put the full stop inside the quotation mark?
Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 06:01 am
@Nat093,
Yes, i would. Please keep in mind that this is a question of style, and that there are not hard and fast rules. The Grammar Police and the Usage Gestapo were both disbanded several years ago.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 06:21 am
@Nat093,
Quote:
="Nat093"]the full stop

One could say that a full stop (British name) goes outside the punctuation; a period (US name) goes inside.

0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 07:09 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
British usage (in my experience) would not employ what Americans call quotation marks. They would use what Americans call a "single quote" and they would call it an inverted comma.

Traditionally - American: "double/single quotes", British: "double/single inverted commas", but in my experience just about everybody in the UK has been saying "quotes" or "quote marks" for at least 20 years.

0 Replies