Palestinians profit from the fence. . .

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 04:50 pm
Amazing how the cookie crumbles sometimes. This would be funny if it wasn't so wierd:

Palestinians 'made millions' selling cheap cement for barrier they bitterly oppose
By Inigo Gilmore in Jerusalem
(Filed: 25/07/2004)

Palestinian businessmen have made millions of pounds supplying cement for Israel's "security barrier" in the full knowledge of Yasser Arafat, the Palestinian leader and one of the wall's most vocal critics.

A damning report by Palestinian legislators, which has been seen by the Telegraph, concludes that Mr Arafat did nothing to stop the deals although he publicly condemned the structure as a "crime against humanity".

The Israeli wall cuts through the Palestinian town of Baqa el-Gharbiya
The report claims that the cement was sold with the knowledge of senior officials at the Palestinian ministry of national economy, and close advisers to Mr Arafat. It concludes that officials were bribed to issue import licences for the cement to importers and businessmen working for Israelis

The rest of the story. . . .
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/07/25/wmid25.xml
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 561 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 04:56 pm
It is not weird it is sad. It is like saying that Germans made money from the Berlin wall. I would suppose some did, but that did not detract from its basic evilness. It is the same with this wall.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 05:50 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
It is not weird it is sad. It is like saying that Germans made money from the Berlin wall. I would suppose some did, but that did not detract from its basic evilness. It is the same with this wall.

Interesting post.
Why do you think the wall is evil?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 05:53 pm
I think Au meant the Berlin wall was evil. The Berlin wall WAS evil. It was designed to keep people IN. There is room to debate whether a wall that keeps terrorists out and keeps people from killing each other is evil though.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 06:30 pm
Ah, thank you.
Of course that's what Acquiunk meant. I should have realized that immediately.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 07:36 pm
i think this story wins the "keystone cops" award for the year ! it seems that israel contracted a palestinian company to build the wall; it's like asking the prisoners to build their own prison without supervision. surely, some israeli agency/company must have been involved in this caper, or perhaps the iraelis don't want this wall to be a permanent structure. if there isn't something fishy here i'll eat my hat ! hbg
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 05:51 am
It is sad, I agree with Acquiunk.
0 Replies