WBYeats

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 05:11 am
In an exercise, fill in the blank:

-This is a good book. You should writer an essay on it. You should engage __ the language of the novel.

The model answer says 'with'. I do not understand in the first place why 'engage' is the the word after which we have to write something. What does 'with', or the entire thing, mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 381 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 06:04 am
@WBYeats,
Once again, we have something which i doubt was written by a native speaker of English. I cannot imagine a native speaker suggesting that someone engage with the language of a novel. One can engage in an activity. One can engage in a process or engage with other people. Those are all active states or persons. The language of a novel just sits there until someone picks up the book to read it--and it does not react to the person reading, it's the same for all readers. I'm going to say this is nonsense, and not written by a native speaker. The sentence: "You should writer an essay on it."--is another reason to suspect this was not written by a native speaker.
McTag

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 07:36 am
@Setanta,

Setanta is right of course.

However if you want to be proactive, you could assume engagement with the language of the novel, and show your understanding of what you have read, if you used some of it in your essay. Presumebly if you were unable to "engage" with it then you wouldn't have gained much by trying to read it.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 08:03 am
Excellent answers. Thank you.
0 Replies