chunky...chubby

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 12:01 pm
What is suitable to say. He has achunky face or he has a chubby face n why?

Can someone explain the use of fair in describing people appearrance..

THANKS A BUNCH
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 812 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 01:16 pm
"Chunky" as applied to a face would suggest scarring/malformation--the sort of injuries that might be sustained after many beatings in the boxing ring. Used to describe a figure, "chunky" might mean bulky, but solid, possibly short but muscular.

"Chubby" would mean curved lines--round cheeks, rounded jaw line.... Implied would be the notion that the owner of the face is a bit overweight.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 01:26 pm
I am not sure I agree with Noddy's definition of "chunky". "Chunky" doesn't suggest scarring to me.

I have heard the term "chunky" used to describe a kid who was overweight. I have never heard of "chunky" ever used to suggest malformation.

I think "chubby" is the right word when you are describing a face that is a bit (or maybe more than a bit) fat. The word "chubby" can also have suggest the "cute" sense of being bit fat and is generally a much nicer word than "fat".
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 01:39 pm
"Chunky" would imply lumpy and bumpy--think retired boxer.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 01:49 pm
I understand the image, but I have still never heard it used that way.

Some call my 6 year old nephew "chunky" meaning he is stocky.

www.dictionary.com gives two definitions.

chunk·y ( P ) Pronunciation Key (chngk)
adj. chunk·i·er, chunk·i·est

1. Short and thick; stocky.
2. Containing small thick pieces: chunky peanut butter; chunky soup.

You might be correct that your usage is a form of definition 2.

But I have never heard it used this way for a persons physical appearance. I have always understood that a "chunky" person was "short and thick".
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 01:51 pm
Chubby is somewhat overweight - think of the fast food joint called "Chubby Hubby". Chunky could be the same, or fairly well muscled without high definition to the muscles, as you would see in a power weight lifter, rather than a body builder.

If someone is described as being "fair", he would have a light, or pale, complexion.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 02:11 pm
I wouldn't use "chunky" to describe a face--but that was the question.

Chunky Body? No question. Heavy set, firm, solid--square rather than rounded.
0 Replies

BaileyStapleton

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 02:33 pm
Ignoring the fact that I shot past "chubby" a lo-o-o-ong time ago, I'd say that a "chunky face" implies square nose and chin, short neck, thin lips, and small beady eyes. A "chubby face" implies a round (red?) nose, round cheeks (also red?), round chin(s), bright eyes, and a "normal length" neck.
0 Replies