Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 09:25 am
"I want to read classic, original short stories of Harry Potter series and The Lord of the Rings, which are translated into English language."

Do you think that the sentence stated above is correct or sounding natural? If not, please explain why?

By "which" in this case Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings have been indicated. Am I right? If by "which" I want to indicate "short stories", how this sentence should be written?

Thanks to everyone of this forum.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 749 • Replies: 9
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 10:13 am
@Nousher Ahmed,
The sentence has errors.

"I want to read the classic, original short stories of the Harry Potter series and The Lord of the Rings, which are translated into the English language."

It's a pretty clunky sentence that could be streamlined, however.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 10:30 am
@Nousher Ahmed,
Agree with Infra above. However I'd write "...into English."
0 Replies

Nousher Ahmed

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 12:11 pm
@InfraBlue,
Thanks for your correction. But please, tell something about my another query.

I want to repeat my another question again.

By "which" in this case Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings have been indicated. Am I right? If by "which" I want to indicate "short stories", how this sentence should be written?
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 12:26 pm
Since both Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings were written in English, they would not need to be translated into that language?
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 01:57 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
HA Yeah, that's what came to mind after first reading the sentence, but I decided to take it at face value and analyze it strictly for it's grammar.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 02:01 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,
Nousher Ahmed wrote:

Thanks for your correction. But please, tell something about my another query.

I want to repeat my another question again.

If you want to refer to "short stories" only then leave out "Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings," because otherwise you're referring specifically to those short stories of Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 03:15 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,

Quote:
"I want to read classic, original short stories of Harry Potter series and The Lord of the Rings, which are translated into English language."

Do you think that the sentence stated above is correct or sounding natural? If not, please explain why?

These are full length novels. If you want to read short stories, you'd be reading something else.
They are already in English, as already pointed out.

Do you want to re-state your question?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 03:45 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,
Nousher...your question actually contains a much more significant non-natural sounding element.

You wrote:

Quote:
If by "which" I want to indicate "short stories", how this sentence should be written?

The ending of this sentence would sound much more natural if you had written it, "...how should this sentence be written?"

Putting the "should" where you did was an indicator of English as a second language.

That is an aside to your original question, but I hope you can use it.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 12:40 am
@Nousher Ahmed,
I want to read classic, original short stories which have been translated into the English language, such as those that were originally written in Hindi by Nousher Ahmed.
0 Replies