Mongolian, anyone?

ehBeth

Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:25 pm
A neighbour of mine asked for help translating this. I've been able to find one or two words online - it seems to be Mongolian. She thinks it may be some kind of love poem.

Quote:
bi chamd hairtel chamgui bol ene harvoud admirah hecuu.

chamagoa yncje hairt miny.
yrgelj husen hulche minii.
hamgirn hairt zuluu mini

Thanks to anyone who can help with this. (Babel fish and word2word were not useful for this)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,733 • Replies: 13
Topic Closed
No top replies

Thok

Mon 26 Jul, 2004 03:37 am
Re: Mongolian, anyone?
Nope, but that´s is interesting and very exotic language http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16038

And on the internet, there is no mongolian help..
I want also to know this.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Mon 26 Jul, 2004 07:21 am
All I know is that 'Bi chamd hairtel' is a dialect version of 'I love you.' I know a friend of mine in Ulaan Bator who might be able to help. Do you have the poem in Cyrillic (or Mongolian) script somewhere?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:18 am
Thanks, drom.

What I posted is what S. got as the postscript to a letter. No cyrillic script available. I am going crazy with this. According to the free dictionary sites I can find, there is no h in Mongolian, so the translation is going very very slowly.

the minii variants are all versions of my/mine. So I think I can probably at least confirm that it's a positive, not negative, message S. is being sent.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:46 am
Does she know the person who sent the poem to her? If so, then perhaps she should ask them (him?) for a translation. If not, then I will try to translate them into Cyrillic, and we can go from there. Some words are common to both Mongolian and Russian, so we can get those translated. We will do this, eventually, together; it is like one of those things that have to be solved.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 26 Jul, 2004 04:26 pm
She knows the person (by mail and email (in the past)), but can't ask him, as getting this translated was a project he gave her. Sort of - if you really want to know how I feel ...

I said I'd try to help out - and then I discovered the limits of internet Mongolian/English!

She was worried that maybe he was telling her the negative truth in Mongolian. <sigh> I'm such a romantic - I hope we're finding out he cares for her in Mongolian as well as English.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:04 am
It definitely looks very good to me. I've translated it to Cyrillic and am manually trying to get a few more words out that are Russo-Mongolian.

Here it is so far:

би шамд аьртел шамгуъ бол ене арвуд адмнра еку
шамгоа ункле аьрт мини
амгирн аьрт зулу мини

I think I see 'I admire her' in there.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:09 am
I'm buying a Finnish to Mongolian dictionary to-day. Then I'll buy a Finnish to English one, and we'll translate like that.

The Russian translation makes out 'I admire her', a dramatic form of 'I admire you,' but nothing else, apart from some things about his uncle, in Zulu art. So I think using the dictionary approach were more accurate!

0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:10 am
You are brilliant!

S will either be pleased, or stunned.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:53 am
Any time, EhBeth! You gave the time to your friend, so it's only fair that I give the time to you.

I have not got to Helsinki yet, and I'll probably get there by to-morrow morning, so we should know all of the message by tomorrow afternoon, if I can get around the (assumed) complexities of Mongolian and Finnish verbs and things.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:54 am
Incidentally, EhBeth; does 'S' know Mongolian? Is the other person Mongolian? My instincts on this one are romantic; I am betting that he wants her to unravel the (good) truth bit by bit.

0 Replies

baeshin

Mon 14 Feb, 2011 01:57 pm
@ehBeth,
it translates like this

i love u and its hard to live without u in this world
i kiss u my love
waited and wished for u my lovely guy

fyi my wife is mongolian
0 Replies

desai261

Sun 27 Feb, 2011 05:49 am