My family is making my life a living hell

sadie

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 02:07 am
I've come to the breaking point with my family. Both my parents are alcoholics. Throughout my life, they have alternated, sometimes daily, between telling me I am the most important thing in their lives and screaming at me that they wish I was never born. My mother beat my father for many years every time they got in an argument, and beat my brother and myself too. There were many times, even as a college student, that my mother flew into alcoholic rages and attacked me naked (if she was in the bathtub at the time she became angry), attempting to push me down our indoor flight of stairs. My mother and father fought frequently, and as a child I was told point blank that "it was all my fault." My father had many affairs, and would tell my mother about them and flaunt them (verbally) in front of everyone.There was a phase where I tried to confront my parents about the emotional and physical abuse that went on in my house growing up. My mother put her hands over her ears and shouted "I don't want to hear this" and proceeded to RUN out of the room...my dad YELLED AT ME FOR UPSETTING HER.

I finally escaped the house after I graduated college. I was very depressed at the time and it took me many years to get my equilibrium and carve out my own life and my own peace. Luckily I met a wonderful man who I was friends with for a few years...we started dating and now have been married for 10 years. My life with my husband is the exact opposite of my parents. It was rocky at first because every time we argued I would be afraid it would blow up into what I was used to between my parents growing up, but my husband treats me with respect, we don't abuse each other, and we are best friends.

However, my family still is negatively affecting my life to the point it is a constant source of worry and stress for me. I didn't talk to them for about 5 years. However, I felt so guilty about not talking to them I initiated contact with them again when I was in my late twenties. Things were smooth for a few years but have deteriorated rapidly again. My parents came to see me recently because I was having surgery..."we love you and will do anything for you" they said, blah blah blah...within three days they were screaming at my husband, insulting his religion (he is Jewish) which I thought was abhorrent. My father was also making racial slurs in public, and my mom almost set the house on fire because she was cooking while she was drunk.

Well, we basically kicked them out. I have one brother who I don't have a great relationship with either. As soon as they left, they called him and were telling him insulting things about my husband. My brother called me to see if everything was okay...I told him not to listen to anything my parents say about my husband because they also say hateful things about his wife, who I know is very nice. Well, he got mad and called them and asked them to stop saying nasty things about his wife...NOW THEY ARE NOT TALKING TO ME BECAUSE I TOLD HIM THEY SAID BAD THINGS ABOUT HIS WIFE. My father, who is 55, called my answering machine and was making ANIMAL noises at me.

Here is the crux of my problem - I would REALLY like to permanently get them out of my life at this point, but I feel guilty because they are my parents. I have tried very hard to forgive and forget but this latest incident is the straw that is breaking my back. I try to cut them slack because I really think they have legitimate psychiatric issues but they are sucking the life out of me. If it wasn't for my husband I think I would be in a very bad place in my life. We laugh about it to break the stress, but I don't know what to do anymore. They are probably never going to initiate a healthy relationship with me, as they think at this point I owe them an apology for "telling" on them to my brother. But they are both in poor health because of their heavy drinking and I wonder who is going to take care of them when their health gives out. I guess what I am trying to say is if I am talking to them they are manipulative and abusive, and if I am not talking to them, I fell guilty because they are family.

I want to know if anyone is in a similar situation or if anyone can give me some advice. I've tried confronting them to no avail...I've tried overlooking their shortcomings, but when they are shouting anti-semitic comments at my husband I really feel they have crossed a line that there is no going back over. My husband, even after all this, says "whatever you feel comfortable doing with them I will support." Please help with some suggestions before they drive me crazy. I just want some peace in my life and for them to be semi normal.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,263 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Earthbound Angel

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 02:23 am
First of all...it sounds like your husband is a wonderful guy.
He should be your first priority.

Secondly...you need to get professional help. Someone to help you sort out your feelings and get over this guilt
and move on with your life.
You have nothing to feel guilty for.

Good luck!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 02:26 am
You can pick your friends and your husband, but you can't pick your parents...move on.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 02:49 am
I think you have to accept the fact that your parents are not going to change. I understand your wanting to make things better. They won't get better unless your parents both agree that there's something wrong. This doesn't seem likely.

I don't want to be glib and say that you shouldn't feel guilty. I wish it were that simple. But I do think you need to weigh what is more important to you. Living without contact with your parents or accepting that contact will be unpleasant. It will never be the way you want it to be. Never.

My relationship with my mother was not a good one. As she got older, I took responsibility for her, but I didn't give her much of my time. I preferred the guilt to being in her presence.

I wish you well. You're fortunate to have a wonderful husband.
0 Replies

SueZCue

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:36 am
I'm so sorry to hear all this. My family is hell, but yours makes mine look like the Brady Bunch.

A wonderful therapist changed my life about ten years ago when she asked me, "Would you even associate with these people if you were 't related to them?"

I said, "Hell no."

And she said, "Then get rid of them. Just because you're related to someone doesn't give them carte blanche to abuse you."

Get rid of them. Sorry, but they're never going to change and you don't need this. No one does.

*hugs*
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 11:52 am
I have to agree with the others. You need to cut the ties with them for your own stability. You tried everything you could to talk some sense into them with no avail. You have a wonderful husband and a new life now, so don't let them ruin that and please don't feel guilty. You have nothing to feel guilty about. Just be happy with your husband and have a normal life. You deserve it.
0 Replies

briarwizard

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 06:38 pm
Your presence isn't going to 'fix them' and make everything better. They'll still be the miserable people they have been and you'll be miserable around them.

Save yourself. Have NO guilt. YOU didn't make your parents the way they are, so you have NOTHING to feel guilty about.

On the other hand if you give these people time out of your life and make yourself and your husband miserable that's something YOU chose to do, and can legitimately have guilt about.

You can choose to make your life and your husband's life better by getting the 'toxic family' out of your lives. Then you'll have absolutely nothing to be guilty about because you will have done the right thing for you and your family, (your family meaning your husband).

Your parents from what I've read haven't earned your loyalty, in fact they've earned your fear. Yes, they fed and clothed you, but people do the same for pets. You owe them nothing at this point.

I grew up with an alcoholic father who's now nearly on his death bed. He wasn't quite as abusive as what you describe, but he was abusive enough that I learned to distance myself from him to save myself. For years before he went into a rest home our relationship was a 'telephone relationship' only. With my father, if you're not in his presence, he doesn't seem to get enraged with you and the conversations are actually pleasant. That's the ONLY way I found to have a civil relationship with him.

But there's still a certain amount of guilt that makes no logical sense. I feel I "should" go up and see him in the home, but on the other hand the old bastard didn't even bother to come down for my wedding. Wink

Fight the guilt. Ask yourself which is worse, getting abused by your parents and having them abuse your husband, or feeling a little guilt, (that you shouldn't logically feel), and keeping your distance?

I'm glad you managed to get out of that miserable situation and find a husband that gives you the respect and love you deserve! As they say, the best revenge is to live well.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 07:29 pm
sadie--

Congratulations on your wonderful husband!

My advice--

Change your phone number, and tell your brother he'd better not give it to them.

Write them a letter. Tell them what you've told us. Are there any circumstances that would cause you to see them, even during estrangement? Hospitalizations; if they got therapy? Will you help your brother coordinate their care if they become invalids? Tell them what would change your mind (if anything), and to what extent you will or will not be available. Then end it by saying unless these things happen, I am choosing not to see or talk to either of you again, for reasons of self=preservation, and out of respect for myself and my husband.

The letter (if well thought out) could serve as a contract with them, and with yourself. Keep a copy. You will be able to assuage a lot of guilt by putting it all down on paper, and seeing your reasoning--plus, sending it to them will be a help to you, and put them on notice for exactly what they can expect and why. Then, FOLLOW IT. When situations arise, you can review your copy, and muster the strength to adhere to what you laid down on paper. May sound silly, but it could serve as back-up for you in shaky times.

You may have children. Some may say you are withholding your children from grandparents, but if the life you portray here is accurate--you will be saving them harm. Better to make your decision now.

BTW-- Believing what you portray, I think it is wise and prudent to severely curtail their access into your life. Personally, I would only leave the option to re=engage if they choose individual and/or family therapy--and I would help siblings arrange for healthcare--though I may not see the parents. I would also say that if there were any meetings, I would turn on my heel with the first insult to me or my husband. But, these would be my considerations. You will decide on your own.

Let them chew on it.

Good luck, dear! You seem to be a wonderfully balanced, resilient woman!
0 Replies