Pool = reporter group?

panzade

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 08:27 am
Yipes! Ori, I've never heard you speak so vehemently before.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 09:05 am
Please read:

Quote:
The Democratic nominee and his running mate said it was that kind of anger toward the president that prompted entertainers at Thursday's Democratic fundraising concert in New York to attack Bush as a "cheap thug" and killer.

"Obviously some performers in my judgment and John's stepped over a line neither of us believes appropriate, but we can't control that," said Kerry. "On the other hand, we understand the anger, we understand the frustration."

Ones who are really vehement are Americans. No Chinese citizen dares to attack their president like the Americans do, because China's so-called democracy is so fragile.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 09:09 am
China's democracy is fragile, I know. But if it can be carried in the hearts of all the citizens it can grow strong and durable. It takes time. And patience.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 11:32 am
oristar--

Please don't take offense, but China's problems are more than I can handle. I'd be interested in your day-to-day life: What do you have for breakfast? Who cooks your breakfast? Do the power shortages interfere with domestic life?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 11:40 am
Leave it to Noddy to get to the nitty-gritty
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 11:42 am
Ori, there's a huge demand for your observations on daily life in China. We have so few posters from this very important country
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 03:00 am
Hi Noddy and Panzade,
Here, Zhejiang, on coast of the East China Sea, one of the richest provinces of China, breakfast for ordinary people: (if they don't eat at home they usually choose) two or three breads or steamed buns, a bowl of porridge made out of rice and water, a cooked salty duck's egg (sometimes some one might choose a preserved egg), or other optional dishes in small saucers, of meat, fish, or vegetable. Of cource, milk is served at customer's demand. Also, many people just eat a bowl of noodle as their breafast. For me, since I don't like porridge and chicken or its drumstick so much, my breakfast is often like this --
some lean meat of pig, a little vegetable or fish, rice, all cooked by me myself (often they are cooked at previous night, then re-warmed in my microwave oven at morning.) Occasionally, I am too lazy to cook my breakfast, I'd drink one or two cups of tablewater, and chew some milk candies instead.

Just stop here for the time being.

(Grammar correction or rhetoric improving appreciated)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 07:31 am
Thanks, Oristar.

Now, for years I've wondered. What exactly is a steamed bun? Is it cooked in boiling water like a bagel or is it steamed some other way?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 09:10 pm
Not "cooked in boiling water" , it is cooked above boiling water (the buns are put in a bamboo steamer). That is, just expose the buns to hot steam until fully cooked.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 04:15 am
I think we'll bring some of these to Cav's virtual pub.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 06:27 am
Thanks, Oristar. I read Pearl Buck's The Good Earth when I was a teenager and have wondered about steamed buns for more than 50 years.

Steaming buns must take a fair amount of fuel--perhaps this is why they were festival food for Oolong.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 10:15 am
Congrats Noddy for the innocent and sweet teenager's dream coming true.Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 11:01 am
Oristar--

In the US, curious teenagers are not always sweet and innocent.

One more question--at least for right now?

How big is a steamed bun? This size of an orange? A plum? A grapefruit?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 11:55 pm
Size of a steamed bun for populace, or the size of a most popular steamed bun:

Diameter: about 8 - 9 cm
Center height: about 4 - 5 cm.

But some small sized steamed buns are often served in China, see the pic:

http://www.uk-experience.com/albums/MiscPicsofsomeChinesehomecooking/112_1248.sized.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:41 pm
oristar--

Many thanks. From the picture your steamed buns look a bit like what I would call a dumpling--but dumplings are cooked on top of simmering soups or stews rather than suspended above the broth.

My curiosity is satisfied. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies