How to pronounce lineae?

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2015 04:16 pm
@InfraBlue,
My instructions? My take was church/ecclesiastical latin, not anglo. According to that one link I gave quickly, ecclesiastical latin started somewhere around mid 300 CE. Not a lot of anglos hanging around at the time.

It is is still well used.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2015 09:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, your instructions, i.e. your directions, information, etc. on how to pronounce the word lineae.

They contained English approximations of the Latin sounds and syllables of that word. English speakers, for example, tend to have a hard time with Latin /e/ in many syllabic constructions, so the approximations come closer to /eɪ/, the way the name for the English letter "a" is pronounced, which is what you suggested in your instructions.

I did the same with my instructions.

When did Anglos start hanging around?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2015 10:50 pm
@InfraBlue,
I think, not only Latin is pronounced by English speakers differently then i.e. we do (I had Latin five years at school, "advanced proficiency certificate in Latin").
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 10:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I think, not only Latin is pronounced by English speakers differently then i.e. we do (I had Latin five years at school, "advanced proficiency certificate in Latin").

Absolutely. Unless Latin is one's native language it's bound to be pronounced differently. The pronunciation guides give approximations for other languages. The suggestions provided in this thread were along those lines for English speakers.

My approach to Latin pronunciation is from Latin pronunciation guides and my bilingualism in English and Spanish.
0 Replies