Is there a cure for fallen arches?

Anoxia

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 05:04 pm
I have "fallen arches", although the medical term is something else that I can't remember at them moment. Doctors say there is no way to really fix the problem, that I just have to wear orthotics for the rest of my life... and that hasn't really stopped the knee and back pain.

Has anyone heard of a cure for flat feet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,581 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 05:16 pm
You could try this:

http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/keepingfit/ARTICLE/ARCHES.HTM

Quote:
Here are two exercises that can be very helpful. Exercise one: Lay a bath towel on the floor. Place a weight on one end of the towel (a small can of food to begin with). Stand on the other end, and by just curling your toes, pull the weight toward you. Increase the weight as your muscles strengthen. Exercise two: Rise up on your toes, lifting your heel off the floor as far as possible. Hold the position for a second. Repeat ten times. These two exercises should be done three or four times a day.
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:47 am
That is definately helpful, but I wonder if there is a way to strengthen your feet without having to depend on orthotics.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:54 pm
The exercise in Phoenix's article is the one I was going to suggest. There aren't a whole lot of exercises that target those particular muscles. There are things you can to to lesen the knee and back pain: mainly strengthen leg and torso muscles so that you are using proper body alignment and not placing more stress on your arches than necessary... Have you considered those options? Strong stomach muscles can alleviate most back pain. If you have knee pain, make sure your weight is in the normal range for your height as well...
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 06:41 am
Oh yeah, I've done a lot of strength exercises for the last 5 years, and it has helped a lot. But my feet still hurt.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 02:30 am
I found some foot notes while looking for something else. I thought maybe they might be of some use to you... They were torn from Massage Magazine, Sept./Oct. 1997:

Exercise for the transverse arch: pick up jacks or small pebbles w/the toes, or place a towel or small rug on a slippery floor and scrunch it up inch by inch.

Then for the medial arch, I have a note that if you can relax and loosen your peroneus longus and wake up and strengthen the tibialis anterior... this is supposed to balance out the fallen medial arch...(unfortunately there aren't any notes on how to relax and loosen the peroneus longus or strengthen the tib. ant. Crying or Very sad )

This isn't much of a problem over here in Hawaii. Someone once said that walking barefoot in sand prevents its occurance, but whether that is fact or fiction, I honestly don't know.
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 04:47 am
No, there may very well be truth to the sand theory. Weak feet have problems, and walking on sand wouldn't allow your feet to be weak.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 12:04 pm
Anoxia wrote:
No, there may very well be truth to the sand theory. Weak feet have problems, and walking on sand wouldn't allow your feet to be weak.

So, wouldn't that be the answer to your query then? The placement of the muscles mentioned (per. long. & tib. ant.) would be stretched and toned by the biomechanics of walking in a medium such as sand... At least it seems so to me, but I am no doctor, just a massage therapist... So, why not do what you can to strengthen the transverse arch then put in some time walking across sand? Begin slowly, as you would any exercise program, and build up to do so longer. Ask your doctor what s/he thinks of such a program to build up the muscles of your foot.
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 05:26 pm
Thank you! I'll work on that Smile
0 Replies

NettieK

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 06:04 am
Yes i have to try these exercises. After 12+ years of foot pain due to fallen arches, with 3 bouts of heel spurs, I feel I really need to do something. I wear orthotics and always comfy shoes, but like tonight my 8 hour (sometimes 10) work day constantly on my feet plays havoc with me. I have intensified my exercise of picking up a pencil with my feet but would like others to try also.
0 Replies