D-Day Reporting...2004

Fedral

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 03:18 pm
D-Day Reporting...2004

This op-ed piece appeared in the Newnan, GA Sunday newspaper today. The author, Alex McRae, is something of a celebrated local irreverent wise guy (last week he took off on NASCAR fans) and his stuff appears regularly in the paper. It may be too long for some of you, but I think it reflects a lot on how news is being reported today.

How Would The D-Day Invasion be Reported Today? Alex McRae

June, 6, 1944. D-Day. The Normandy invasion. The beginning of the end of World War II, and one of the most storied days in American military history. Today we celebrate not just the 60th anniversary of the event, but the lives of those who perished on the shores of Normandy and those who lived to fight for freedom in the days, weeks and months ahead. We are grateful for their sacrifice, their courage and honor, and for those who followed in Korea, Viet Nam, the Gulf War and now, Iraq.

But more than anything else, we should be grateful D-Day occurred during a more innocent time in America. If World War II had been fought in today's climate of political correctness and covered by our current military-hating national media, things would have been quite different. In fact the story of D-Day might have read something like this...
June 6, 1944. -NORMANDY- Three hundred French civilians were killed and thousands more wounded today in the first hours of America's invasion of continental Europe. Casualties were heaviest among women and children. Most of the French casualties were the result of artillery fire from American ships attempting to knock out German fortifications prior to the landing of hundreds of thousands of U.S. troops. Reports from a makeshift hospital in the French town of St. Mere Eglise said the carnage was far worse than the French had anticipated and reaction against the American invasion was running high. "We are dying for no reason," said a Frenchman speaking on condition of anonymity. "Americans can't even shoot straight. I never thought I'd say this, but life was better under Adolph Hitler."

The invasion also caused severe environmental damage. American troops, tanks, trucks and machinery destroyed miles of pristine shoreline and thousands of acres of ecologically sensitive wetlands. It was believed that the habitat of the spineless French crab was completely wiped out, threatening the species with extinction.

A representative of Greenpeace said his organization, which had tried to stall the invasion for over a year, was appalled at the destruction, but not surprised.

"This is just another example of how the military destroys the environment without a second thought, " said Christine Moanmore. "And it's all about corporate greed."

Contacted at his Manhattan condo, a member of the French government-in-exile who abandoned Paris when Hitler invaded said the invasion was based solely on American financial interests. "Everyone knows the President Roosevelt has ties to big beer," said Pierre LeWimp. "Once the German beer industry is conquered, Roosevelt's beer cronies will control the world market and make a fortune."

Administration supporters said America's aggressive actions were based in part on the assertions of controversial scientist Albert Einstein, who sent a letter to Roosevelt speculating that the Germans were developing a secret weapon, a so-called "atomic bomb." Such a weapon could produce casualties on a scale never seen before and cause environmental damage that could last for thousands of years.

Hitler has denied having such a weapon and international inspectors were unable to locate such weapons even after spending two long weekends in Germany. Shortly after the invasion began reports surfaced that German prisoners had been abused by Americans. Mistreatment of Jews by Germans at so-called "concentration camps" has been rumored but so far, remains unproven.

Several thousand Americans died during the first hours of the invasion and French officials are concerned that uncollected corpses pose a public health risk. "The Americans should have planned for this in advance," they said. "It's their mess and we don't intend to clean it up."

I'm glad the soldiers who fought and died so bravely on D-Day and throughout World War II did so decades ago In the 1940s war was hell, but at least our troops didn't have to fight the folks back home.

http://www.sacredcowburgers.com/parodies/root_for_us.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 729 • Replies: 11
No top replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 03:27 pm
There certainly would have been a lot of criticism by the media on the many casualities of war, but that wouldn't have changed the necessity of that war. The necessity of taking our current military action is the first problem to consider and report upon now. There was no question of the necessity of D-Day, or another day like it... And I do root for our side, now that they are there, but I think the president was still wrong to send them there. It is not WW3, and nothing at all like WW2.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 03:38 pm
princesspupule wrote:
There was no question of the necessity of D-Day

Of course there is, there was really no reason for the US to get involved in a european issue.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 03:52 pm
Karzak wrote:
princesspupule wrote:
There was no question of the necessity of D-Day

Of course there is, there was really no reason for the US to get involved in a european issue.

Can you imagine what the world would be like today if we hadn't? Of course we had to! Not doing so would have spelled catastrophe!
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 04:10 pm
princesspupule wrote:

Can you imagine what the world would be like today if we hadn't?

Who knows how it would have turned out? Maybe the world would be a better place today.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 06:27 pm
Gee, what a clever caption for that picture. i must admit, the word moron is entirely appropriate for the thread's theme.
You know, repitition doesn't work on everyone, only rabid righties! The rest of us, who heard this obscene comparison made months ago were able to think it through and put it in it's proper place, in the circular file!
You can keep trying; after all, that's how that party of yours keeps growing... repeat something often enough and a few dimwits will latch on!
In the meantime, why don't you give our troops a little more credit? They are not nearly as ignorant as you who would equate being opposed to this war as being opposed to them! Plenty of parents support their children fighting in Iraq while not supporting the reason they are there. Some of us realize the troops are there under orders, doing their jobs. And guess what? (Hold onto your hats)They're not all republicans! They know the score, whether or not you do!
And sorry for that 'caring about non-Americans, too" thing we democrats have. We can't help it. We're human.
It's not entirely the fault of the media. You can also blame a more enlightned society. Tough deal for you, I know, but those are the breaks.
Whenever you're ready to rejoin the real world, we'll accept you with open arms.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 05:57 am
1. We're dealing with a "Busheep" here.

2. I think this poster's a better use of that design (I have it on a sweatshirt and used it as part of a calendar that also used pictures I took at the January 2002, anti-war/anti-empire rally in DC)

http://www.cafeshops.com/warposter/14259

Or perhaps this is what McG and the rest of his "Flock" want

http://www.cafeshops.com/warposter/10803
0 Replies

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 09:31 am
Smile I think you're right, Neo!
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 09:41 am
The Pics
I typed the wrong URLs in the 1st time so here goes

http://zoom.cafepress.com/5/1364995_zoom.jpg

http://zoom.cafepress.com/8/1587588_zoom.jpg
0 Replies

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 09:54 am
No, those were the right URLs, these were the pictures I saw when I pasted them into my browser.
But posting the pictures themselves, much better!
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 09:59 am
Suzy:

I posted links to the PAGES, not the pics.

PS. I'm gonna be getting a shirt from that site to wear to the August 29th rally

http://www.unitedforpeace.org/rnc
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 10:03 am
one small quibble . . . on one in Iraq asked to be liberated . . . the French desparately awaited our arrival . . .

More right-wing idiocy posing as thoughtful commentary . . .
0 Replies