US Failed to Grasp Bin Laden Threat: Sept 11 Panel

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 11:16 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Sept. 11 commission on Thursday criticized both the Bush and Clinton administrations for failing to fully grasp or effectively combat the threat posed by al Qaeda and recommended a shake-up of U.S. intelligence to meet future dangers.

The final report issued unanimously by the 10-member commission pointed to "deep institutional failings" and missed opportunities to thwart the hijackings carried out by al Qaeda operatives, which killed almost 3,000 people in 2001.

"Terrorism was not the overriding national security concern for the U.S. government under either the Clinton or the pre-9/11 Bush administrations," the 567-page report said.

http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/339113|top|07-22-2004::11:45|reuters.html

Looks like both the Clinton and the Bush administration were in denial about the seriousness of the terrorist threat.

I thought that the commission was very even handed in its report, and made some great suggestions as to how to deal with the threat. Whether the pols in Washington are willing to give up some of their turf for the greater good, is an open question.

I wanted to download the entire report, but it was over 500 pages. I think that I will be moseying down to the bookstore!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,032 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 11:24 am
Quote:
The United States has the resources and the people. The government should combine them more effectively, achieving unity of effort. We offer five major recommendations to do that:
• unifying strategic intelligence and operational planning against Islamist terrorists across the foreign-domestic divide with a National Counterterrorism Center;
• unifying the intelligence community with a new National Intelligence Director;
• unifying the many participants in the counterterrorism effort and their knowledge in a network-based information-sharing system that transcends traditional governmental boundaries;
• unifying and strengthening congressional oversight to improve quality and accountability; and
• strengthening the FBI and homeland defenders.

Link for the summary (PDF)

http://www.9-11commission.gov/report/911ReportExec.pdf

for the full report (PDF)

http://www.9-11commission.gov/report/911Report.pdf
0 Replies

mrcool011

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 04:18 pm
where do i get that pdf thing?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 04:48 pm
Are you talking about the Adobe Acrobat Reader? That's the software that you need to read pdf files. You can download it free at:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 06:28 am
I am really a bit surprised that there has not been more responses to this thread. In the past few years, I have considered terrorism the most important challenge that is facing the US in the present day.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 07:24 am
To respond in an intelligent way is to admit that your man shares the blame with his man....a pill a great many posters here can't bring themselves to swallow :wink: Pity.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 07:29 am
Sad, but true. I think that both administrations screwed up royally. But placing blame will solve nothing.
0 Replies

mrcool011

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 03:07 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Sad, but true. I think that both administrations screwed up royally. But placing blame will solve nothing.

well said.

i think the democrats tried to use the comission as a politcal witch hunt, they wanted it to be used against bush. and if you dont believe me, why didnt have the comission in 2001? or 2002? or even 2003? but they waited til election year
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 03:20 pm
Quote:
i think the democrats tried to use the comission as a politcal witch hunt, they wanted it to be used against bush.

Could be, but so what? The important thing is that we all come together, and work to root out the terrorist threat. If we don't, we won't have ANYTHING to worry about!

Tom Lehrer said it so well!

http://members.aol.com/quentncree/lehrer/allgo.htm

Quote:
When you attend a funeral,
It is sad to think that sooner or'l
Later those you love will do the same for you.
And you may have thought it tragic,
Not to mention other adjec-
Tives, to think of all the weeping they will do.
(But don't you worry.)

No more ashes, no more sackcloth,
And an arm band made of black cloth
Will some day nevermore adorn a sleeve.
For if the bomb that drops on you
Gets your friends and neighbors too,
There'll be nobody left behind to grieve.

And we will all go together when we go.
What a comforting fact that is to know.
Universal bereavement,
An inspiring achievement,
Yes, we will all go together when we go.

We will all go together when we go.
All suffused with an incandescent glow.
No one will have the endurance
To collect on his insurance,
Lloyd's of London will be loaded when they go.

Oh we will all fry together when we fry.
We'll be french fried potatoes by and by.
There will be no more misery
When the world is our rotisserie,
Yes, we will all fry together when we fry.

Down by the old maelstrom,
There'll be a storm before the calm.

And we will all bake together when we bake.
There'll be nobody present at the wake.
With complete participation
In that grand incineration,
Nearly three billion hunks of well-done steak.

Oh we will all char together when we char.
And let there be no moaning of the bar.
Just sing out a Te Deum
When you see that I.C.B.M.,*
And the party will be come-as-you-are.

Oh, we will all burn together when we burn.
There'll be no need to stand and wait your turn.
When it's time for the fallout
And Saint Peter calls us all out,
We'll just drop our agendas and adjourn.

You will all go directly to your respective Valhallas.
Go directly, do not pass Go, do not collect two hundred dollahs.

And we will all go together when we go.
Every Hottentot and every Eskimo.
When the air becomes uranious,
We will all go simultaneous.
Yes, we all will go together
When we all go together,
Yes we all will go together when we go.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:49 pm

Quote:

source
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 02:58 am
I just returned a book to the local library called 'The Ultimate Terrorists' (or something along those lines). When I started reading it the author began with a hypothetical bomb attack on the Empire State Building killing tens of thousands. I went "Say what!?" and checked the publication date, it was 1999. OK, the author never said she was clairvoyant.

BUT what she did say was that there was a growing threat of foreign terrorists targeting the US. THREE times she mentions Osama bin Laden by name as a specific risk. So, she was the only one?
0 Replies