John Boehner RESIGNS from Congress

JPB

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 04:03 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Lash wrote:

What IS a true conservative anymore?

Just in my opinion, it is someone that knows you can't have anything you can't pay for, no matter how nice it sounds.

That used to be my opinion too, Roger. But now the social conservatives have usurped the label, imo. I spent some time with my brother recently, who still considers himself a conservative - more in the "Goldwater Republican" meaning (libertarian on social issues) than the current manifestation which appears to driven by hatred and animosity towards anyone and anything that is "other".
roger

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 04:17 pm
@JPB,
I'm afraid you're right, but I live in the past.

I used to think the Republicans were "Tax and Spend", and the Democrats were "Borrow and Spend". As I say, I live in the past.

Good to see you back. This time, stick around a little longer.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 05:10 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Good to see you back. This time, stick around a little longer.

+1
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2015 12:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Try and put aside partisan tribalism and consider this:

Which seems better for the nation?

Representatives that vote in lockstep with their Party Leaders or representatives who challenge their leadership and the status quo?

the latter definitely, i vote for my representative, rarely if ever for the leader or even the party they represent
djjd62

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2015 01:01 pm
a brief aside, i wish the Pope would come and speak with the Dishonourable Prime Minister Stephen Harper so he'd feel inclined to resign
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 03:59 pm
@djjd62,
So, you agree that there's nothing wrong, and perhaps everything right with Representatives of either party bucking their leadership.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 06:00 am
Quote:
Think on Boehner's vanishing act from talk radio for a moment and you will understand part of why the "base" seethed with anger towards the exiting speaker. It isn't hard to sense contempt and it is usually repaid in spades. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, in stark contrast to Boehner, is an occasional if not regular visitor to the airwaves, and his leadership team of John Cornyn and John Thune are able and accessible stand-ins.

Boehner's team actively discouraged leadership from "running the risk" of talking to conservative thought leaders on air, and only former California Rep. and House Rules Chair David Dreier regularly rejected that counsel to enter the fray. Texas' Pete Sessions and Oregon's Greg Walden looked for radio opportunities in the past few years, but they had money to raise as successive chairs of the National Republican Congressional Committee.

Get it? The House Leadership was willing to use the base for fundraising, but not talk to it or seek advice from it. The speaker couldn't be bothered. There were big donors to charm and big courses to play.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/30/opinions/hewitt-gop-shakeup-consequences/index.html

The man has a point.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 06:37 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
yes, most reps are going to be party supporters for the most part but i would have greater respect for a rep who bucked a party line if he/she felt strongly enough about a subject, i also have no use for a leader (like our dishonourable prime minister) who demands his members vote the party line or else don't vote at all
0 Replies