Bergler took all known copies of millenium review document

swolf

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:35 pm
From the Washington Post (well known bastion of conservatism...):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A4189-2004Jul21.html

Quote:

...The government source said the Archives employees were deferential toward Berger, given his prominence, but were worried when he returned to view more documents on Oct. 2. They devised a coding system and marked the documents they knew Berger was interested in canvassing, and watched him carefully. They knew he was interested in all the versions of the millennium review, some of which bore handwritten notes from Clinton-era officials who had reviewed them. At one point an Archives employee even handed Berger a coded draft and asked whether he was sure he had seen it.

At the end of the day, Archives employees determined that that draft and all four or five other versions of the millennium memo had disappeared from the files, this source said....

"Archivists became suspicious as Mr. Berger walked through a security scanner."

http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/helograd/berger_xray.jpg

Quote:

I hear somethin' sayin'

(Hooh! aah!) (hooh! aah!)

(Well, don't you know)
That's the sound of the men working on the chain ga-a-ang
That's the sound of the men working on the chain gang....

Razz Razz
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,835 • Replies: 35
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 11:58 am
He took all known copies? Even a fool knows enough to have back-up copies on disc. This means Bush and his pals are somewhat below fools!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 12:02 pm
What is this now? Four threads started by swolf on Sandy Berger? Five threads? How many more of these are we expected to endure?

What explains this obsession? Perhaps swolf has a "thing" for Sandy?

http://www.cnn.com/2000/WORLD/africa/08/26/clinton.africa/link.berger.cnn.jpg

Oh, you gorgeous Clinton-era bureaucrat, you!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 12:10 pm
Jealous joefromchicago?

Bush isn't the only force for evil in the unverse...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 12:26 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Bush isn't the only force for evil in the unverse...

There you go, McG -- tooting your own horn again.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 02:46 pm
At least McG is now admitting that Bush is a force for evil!
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 03:15 pm
NickFun wrote:
He took all known copies? Even a fool knows enough to have back-up copies on disc. This means Bush and his pals are somewhat below fools!

It is NOT President Bush's job to monitor EVERY freaking Federal employee at every Federal agency.

The National Archives have a staff that is supposed to handle these things.

Stop blaming President Bush for everything that you feel goes wrong in this country.

"OH MY GOSH!! A tree fell in the forest! It must be a plot by the President to denude the forests!"

"Look, a man got hit by a car! Must be Bush's fault!"

"A former Clinton advisor stole classified material and hid them on his person to get them out of a secure facility and then 'misplaced or destroyed' some of those documents. MUST BE the Presidents fault. Rolling Eyes "

Try taking some personal responsibility for a change... what Berger did was WRONG! No amount of bitching and whining about 'timing' or 'partisanship' changes the fact that he did something illegal and stole potentially valuable evidence and destroyed some.

Y'all DO know, if a normal person were to steal items and hide them about his person and walk out with those items without permission, it is called THEFT!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 05:40 am
Supposedly Berger was being watched like a hawk when he was in there doing his "dirty work". The federal employees must have been rather inept to let him walk out without questioning him. I'm not saying what he did wasn't wrong, but Bush and his pals look more foolish all the times.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 06:14 am
Gee, Nickfun, I read that he repeatedly asked monitors to leave the room so he could make "private calls" and that he excused himself to visit the restroom repeatedly. Owing to the fact that he was Sandy Berger, the monitors acquiesed to his requests. Turns out he was just a thief.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 08:29 am
If the documents were so sacred and Berger was working for an opposition candidate then they should have monitored him more closely. And maybe he had to piss.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 08:38 am
Ok lets put this matter to rest and focus on important issues like the 9.11 commission findings and over 900 dead Americans in Iraq.

What Sandy did was stupid.

HOWEVER

The commission has stated FOR THE RECORD that it was not denies ANY documents it needed for it's report. That would be for some who have problems comprehending

none
zilch
nada
zero

This was confirmed by THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT

Hopefully this will help swolf here get over the Sandy Berger obsession affliction and they can rest easy tonight.

While what he did was stupid, and lambrained it didn't hamper the 9.11 commission. There is NO proof that Kerry or Clinton were involved and it's been investigated for 9 months now. If he broke the law he should be punished but my guess is that he's being punished now and this idiotic act of his will tarnish is reputation for the rest of his life.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 10:16 am
Redheat wrote:

If he broke the law he should be punished but my guess is that he's being punished now and this idiotic act of his will tarnish is reputation for the rest of his life.

LOL, if this was Bush you would be screaming for his castration and immolation.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 10:52 am
BBB
Castrating Bush? What a great idea! Better get out the toenail clippers because Bush has no balls or at least teeny weeny ones.

BBB Very Happy
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:05 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Castrating Bush? What a great idea! Better get out the toenail clippers because Bush has no balls or at least teeny tiny ones.

BBB Very Happy

Laughing

even the toenail clippers could be considered overkill Shocked
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:26 pm
Karzak wrote:
Redheat wrote:

If he broke the law he should be punished but my guess is that he's being punished now and this idiotic act of his will tarnish is reputation for the rest of his life.

LOL, if this was Bush you would be screaming for his castration and immolation.

For some reason you all seem to miss the point. In my opinion if berger really did take documents that he shouldn't have, he should have to face justice the same as anyone else. However, the implication here and the many other places this same issue is being discussed is because berger took documents if affected or compromised the findings by the commission and that is not the case because they have copies of the material that berger took.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:28 pm
Redheat wrote:

HOWEVER

The commission has stated FOR THE RECORD that it was not denies ANY documents it needed for it's report.

That's far from obvious from much of what I've read and it not even obviously relevant if it's true. It appears as if one of Kerry's speeches contained an accusation against the Bush administration which it could only have gotten illegally, i.e. from Bergled documents. That's the point of the thread on FR.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:35 pm
swolf wrote:
Redheat wrote:

HOWEVER

The commission has stated FOR THE RECORD that it was not denies ANY documents it needed for it's report.

That's far from obvious from much of what I've read and it not even obviously relevant if it's true. It appears as if one of Kerry's speeches contained an accusation against the Bush administration which it could only have gotten illegally, i.e. from Bergled documents. That's the point of the thread on FR.

It appears? on righty planet?

Contained accusations? Ok list them, where are the quotes? link? source?

Really swolf you should bottle and sell whatever you're on because you would make a mint!
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:40 pm
http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/helograd/sandy_burgler.jpg

Quote:

I hear somethin' sayin'

(Well, don't you know)
That's the sound of the men working on the chain gang

All day long they're singin'

(Well, don't you know)

All day long they work so hard
Till the sun is goin' down
Working on the highways and byways
And wearing, wearing a frown
You hear them moanin' their lives away
Then you hear somebody sa-ay

Can't ya hear them singin'
Mm, I'm goin' home one of these days
I'm goin' home see my woman
Whom I love so dear
But meanwhile I got to work right he-ere

(Well, don't you know)

All day long they're singin', mm
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my work is so hard
Give me water, I'm thirsty
My work is so hard

Razz Razz
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:56 pm
I've notice swolf that when asked for specifics you come back with some silly picture. Is there a reason for that besides your avoiding actually discussing issues in a grown up manner?
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:13 pm
Redheat wrote:
I've notice swolf that when asked for specifics you come back with some silly picture. Is there a reason for that besides your avoiding actually discussing issues in a grown up manner?

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-bc-ny--bergerprobe-patak0722jul22,0,3495499.story?coll=ny-

Pataki troubled by Berger allegations

By MELISSA MANSFIELD
Associated Press Writer
July 22, 2004, 4:18 PM EDT

Quote:

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Gov. George Pataki on Thursday called the Justice Department probe of former national security adviser Sandy Berger "troubling," adding the case may have significantly impacted the Sept. 11 commission's final report.

"To find out that national security documents dealing with Sept. 11 were wrongfully removed, supposedly inadvertently, and then wrongfully destroyed, supposedly inadvertently, raises real questions as to what was in those documents and why they were removed," the Republican governor said.

Berger, who served in the Democratic Clinton administration, allegedly removed highly classified terrorism documents and handwritten notes from a secure reading room during preparations for the Sept. 11 commission hearings.

Pointing to Thursday's release of the Sept. 11 commission's report, Pataki said during a news conference at the state Capitol that "there may have been information that may have changed that report significantly."

The documents in question discussed the 1999 plot to attack U.S. millennium celebrations and recommendations for dealing with the al-Qaida network.

The Government Reform Committee, the main investigative committee in the Republican-led House of Representatives, announced Wednesday that it too will look into the Berger allegations already being probed by the Justice Department.

"There must be a thorough investigation," Pataki demanded. "You have to wonder why that happened."

When questioned further as to why Berger may have taken the papers in question, the governor said he had an idea, but refused to elaborate. Pataki also said he has never had access to classified documents of a similar nature.

Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe said he wants to see any paper trail between the Justice Department and the White House because of "the questionable timing" of leaked news revealing the Berger probe just days before release of the Sept. 11 commission's report.

Also Thursday, Pataki praised the Sept. 11 commission's recommendation that homeland security aid be doled out by Washington on using a "threat-based" standard instead of on a per-capita basis. Pataki and other New Yorkers have argued that since New York is a proven target for terrorists, security costs are higher here than virtually anyplace else in the country.

0 Replies