Do you think it's a mans duty to stick up for his girlfriend?

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 06:24 pm
Not to say a woman can't or shouldn't stand up for herself. But if a guys friends or family are being insulting or making her uncomfortable and she's afraid to get defensive or doesn't know what's going on is it up to the boyfriend to be her protector?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 1,073 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 07:34 pm
@LittleBabiesBelly,
She is being the protecter for herself.

What has being a boyfriend have to do with anything.

if you don't want to help, please leave.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 07:40 pm
@LittleBabiesBelly,
I think the genders don't matter.

If a woman's friends are being insulting and making her boyfriend uncomfortable, she should stand up for him (with her friends or family). Same goes for a man.
vikorr

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 08:02 pm
@LittleBabiesBelly,
Does your girlfriend want you to help her in this regard?

Said in other ways:
- Does she think she is handling things in a way that suits her?
- Has she told you to keep your nose out of it
- etc

If you try to be her protector and she disagrees with you...things become awkward. If she wants you to be her protector, then it's fine...unless you make things worse.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 08:18 pm
@LittleBabiesBelly,
To the original question; yes.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 10:02 am
@LittleBabiesBelly,
If someone insults my wife, I am going to show my displeasure to that person. Why would I allow anyone to insult someone I care that deeply about? That to me would be the epitome of callousness toward my wife, and that is not love.

So yes, if she is your girlfriend and you care about her, you should make it clear to those who make fun of her that while they have a right to do whatever they want, you and your girlfriend need not hang around them. If they don't stop, then stop hanging around them.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 10:34 am
I have seen women/girls get themselves into messes by being too aggressive, too dramatic, too needy, too possessive, etc. - then expect someone else to "back" their bad behavior, usually their BF or husband. Dysfunctional friends or alcohol/drugs can also be involved.

Want to explain why you need to be "backed" by another person?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 10:38 am
Interesting.

I take the OP as being a question from a woman.

__

Regardless of gender, I think it's generally a good idea for a person to be supportive of their partner, especially when there is family crap going on.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 09:14 am
@LittleBabiesBelly,
Yes - I think any friend should stand up for another friend if someone else is being mean or insulting towards them. Especially if it is the other friend's (meaning the one not being insulted) family or friends.

That person is closer to these other individuals and knows them better so it makes sense s/he speaks up. Seeing the insulted person really does know them so well, of course they would be more uncomfortable speaking up.

To me it doesn't matter whether male or female or whether couple or just close friends, you need to have your friend's back - otherwise what kind of friend are they?

The only thing I can think that this boyfriend would not speak up is that these family members/friends are not meaning to be insulting; maybe it is there way of joking around just having fun. But if that is the case, you or insulted friend should speak to boyfriend alone and let them know how this hurts them. Maybe he did not realize?
0 Replies

Date2Relate

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 12:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Both parties should be willing to defend each other in the face of needless attacks/commentary. It goes with the relationship territory.
0 Replies

Date2Relate

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 12:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Totally agree that this has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with honouring the relationship.
0 Replies