Usage of "in" vs "with"

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 03:47 pm
Here is a question on the topic of in vs with:

1. If you have a specific person, or other candidate IN whom you are particularly interested, let us know, and we will contact them.

2. If you have a specific person, or other candidate WITH whom you are particularly interested, let us know, and we will contact them.

I favour the usage of the word with as shown in example 2. I am basing this on one of the definitions for with that reads: "...used as a function word to indicate the object of attention".

I'd love to hear other comments or, just vote if you haven't the time to explain your answer. Cheers
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 896 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 04:09 pm
In the American language, it is a usage standard to express an interest in something. As i scan the senteneces, number 2 seems awkward. Were i to encounter that sentence standing alone, without the comparison to number one, i would think it awkward and likely written by a non-native speaker of English. Although i have no doubt that others may arrive to dispute what i've written (to which i will be supremely indifferent), i would suggest to you that as you are speaking of persons ("you," "person," "candidate," "us," "them") with would only be used to indicate that persons were in company with one another, or were acting in concert with one another--that is to describe a relationship of physical proximity. Persons might be in agreement with one another (mental proximity) but would have an interest in common.

I just love the obscure inanity of prepositions in English and American usage.
0 Replies

mrw28

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:14 am
My vote: IN
I agree with Setanta here, I (British) use 'with' when both parties are working together or against each other.

If I am interested in a candidate then I am performing the act of 'being interested' on the candidate (this doesn't sound quite right, but it's almost what I mean :wink: ).

If I am performing the act with the assistance of the candidate, or the opposition of the candidate, then I would be likely to use with.

Some examples:
I am interested in the candidate's progress
I am sitting in the pub
I am sitting, with the candidate, in the pub
I am arguing with the candidate
I went fishing with the candidate last weekend

Clear as mud...
0 Replies

Mister Micawber

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:35 am
Quote:
I am basing this on one of the definitions for with that reads: "...used as a function word to indicate the object of attention".

Don't know whether you need these, but...

'I am concerned with grammar repair.'
'She is preoccupied with her own interests.'
'They were afflicted with palsy.'
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:55 am
You could say that you are interested "with" someone, but it would have be in the context of "I am interested in (doing something) with him/her". If you wanted to be poetic you could change the order around to put the with in front of the action. Otherwise, I think you would say "in".
0 Replies