San Francisco: Here we come or there we go?

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 01:06 pm
http://home.bellsouth.net/s/editorial.dll?bfromind=2214&eeid=4246599&_sitecat=1522&eetype=article&render=y&ck=

With the suggestion that foreign born folks should have the right to run for the presidency, I find this of interest.

So, what do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,017 • Replies: 4
No top replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 01:51 pm
They aren't citizens, therefore they shouldn't be allowed to vote. If one is foreign born, and become a citizen, that is a whole 'nother situation.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 02:22 pm
So, princess. You feel that although many of the students in the school system are foreign born, their parents shouldn't be able to have a say in the election of the superintendents? Or do you see it as a back door attempt at working up to bigger things?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 03:26 pm
Citizens get the right to vote. Noncitizens don't. That's how it works here. I think the whole idea is kinda disturbing, actually. Yes, they have an interest in who's on the school board, just like they should presumably have an interest in, let's see, who is appointed to (or elected to) judicial office, who decides on their tax levels and what is taxed, and who decides on what's legal. Oops, that's everything. Sounds to me like these people should have a full interest in our democracy, which to my mind means they should become citizens.

Yes, it's piecemeal all right. It's an attempt to hand over other rights without citizenship being a requirement. With citizenship comes other responsibilities, and a commitment to this country. And it's further disturbing that being an illegal alien doesn't seem to matter one way or the other. I mean, imagine this scenario - a person with money and no morals wants to be elected to the school board for some odd reason, but his or her poll numbers are down among the illegal alien demographic. Why not make a few well-placed calls to immigration and just get those folks deported?

If I was in Canada or in any other country, for that matter, as a resident alien or as an illegal, I'd have no expectations whatsoever of having any voting rights. Voting is one of the privileges of citizenship; I think it cheapens things when that privilege is handed over to everyone.

Oh, and another thing, isn't this measure inherently discriminatory against people who are not parents or guardians of a schoolchild? After all, even though I don't have kids, I also pay taxes on the schools. Why should I not be able to get the franchise? Or should I have a kid just to be able to vote?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 03:44 pm
Jes, I was interested in this item, because I viewed it as another foot in the door. All parents have the right to address grievances, so it's not as though they do not have a say. It bothers me that our constitution is being challenged more and more.
0 Replies