Lost sense of smell

bashdem

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 10:18 am
Hi all

I hope someone can shed some light on this subject as both myself and my partner are bit concerned.

About 5 days ago my pregnant partner picked up a cold. Shewas suffering from a blocked nose and slight sore throat. After a few days of having the cold she tried clearing her sinuses by covering her head with a towel over a bowl of steaming water with added tee tree oil. She breathed in deeply but this started her off on a coughing fit which she recovered from after a few minutes. She didnt re-use the bowl of water/oils.

During the cold, as expected, she lost her sense of smell and taste. But, the cold has since got a lot better and all that remains is a slight blocked nose. Unfortunately though her sense of smell does not appear to have returned. Both of us are quite worried about this as she cannot sense anything when smelling/eating very garlicy cheese and other strong foods.

She has also had a few nosebleeds since. Nothing major but this is unlike her. She doesnt normally suffer from nosebleeds. Could the bowl of steaming water and oil have caused any problems? If so what would be suggested that could help her regain her sense of smell? Will it return in time? Bear in mind she is currently 4 months pregnant so this limits the medical optionas available to her. Also, could her problems be passed onto the unborn baby?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Chris
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 962 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 10:22 am
I am no doctor but the membrane in her nose is probably still swollen which would account for her still slightly stuffy nose and poor sense of smell. As for the nose bleeds, are they very heavy bleeds or just when she blows her nose? When you are sick and blowing your nose all the time, you can burst tiny blood vessles or dry out your nose and cause cracking. This would explain any light blood. Heavy nosebleeds aren't normal and she should see her doctor, just in case.
0 Replies

bashdem

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 10:53 am
Hi Kristie

Thanks for your response. The bleeding has only occured twice. Once was during the night and was only noticeable by the tissue the next morning. The other was during the day after blowing her nose. Neither was particular heavy.

Its more the inhaling of the tea tree oil steam that worries us. Could this damage smell receptors if too stronger dosage of oil was used? She really cant smell a thing.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:19 am
I suppose that she could have had a reaction to the oil which could cause the nosebleeds. It is rare and minimal but allergic reactions do occur.

I don't think that the oil is causing her loss of smell as I have never heard of this being a side effect but I would advise she not use it again and see her doctor. Better safe than sorry. Good luck!
0 Replies

bashdem

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:23 am
Thanks Kristie

Have already checked with the dr's - a weeks wait Shocked

Thought i'd check on here too. Will see how it goes.

Thanks for your advice tho.

Chris
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:58 am
A friend of mine lost his snese of smell in an accident 23 years ago. He adjusted very well but he once left some meat in a cooler in his trunk for a month without realizing it. I got in his car one day and thought I was gonna die! I hope she gets her smell back soon!
0 Replies