DNC – What will happen to the homeless?

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 10:01 am
I was wondering as I walked to work this morning while greeting the usual friendly homeless people I see each morning. Since the city is trying to "clean up" its imagine and accommodate all these "important" people invading our city in a couple of days, is the city planning on "cleaning up" the homeless? I have seen all the newspaper stands moved, the corrals set up for protestors, other things set up to make the city look a little nicer. Are they going to move the homeless perhaps to an area where these important people did not have to view them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,211 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:15 am
Well, that's what was reported that they did for the last two or three conventions. I would guess that would be the plan this time too.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:33 am
I have a feeling this is going to result in a new flavor of Soylent green...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:55 am
They are going to give them all new suits and briefcases. And they will all get bathed and shaved. Now they will look important too! Of course, after the convention the suits go back and the briefcases are designed to last only 4 days.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:55 am
I'm not sure what you mean by that Just, but it is a fact that organizers of fancy events, including political ones, try to get all the embarassing scenery out of the picture.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:05 pm
Oh thanks Nick - sounds like something that mayor would promote to help "clean up" our fine city. Another fine use of the taxpayers money!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 02:10 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by that Just, but it is a fact that organizers of fancy events, including political ones, try to get all the embarassing scenery out of the picture.

It's so refreshing to know that some living breathing people are considered embarassing scenery :-(
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 02:17 pm
In most cases you don't know the tragic history behind homeless people. We should keep that in mind before considering them to be dirty or something in that manner (this post is not directed to someone).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:54 pm
In GA they put homeless people on buses with one-way tickets to other cities.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:03 pm
The mayor has been saying that they'll be moved into shelters for the duration (with the obligatory "but we're not hiding them!" tacked on of course..). One way or another I guess they won't be "visable" while the guests are in town.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:24 pm
Montana writes:
Quote:
It's so refreshing to know that some living breathing people are considered embarassing scenery

That's exactly what the homeless or trash not picked up or picket lines are to organizers of an event though. If you dig deep enough, you find that the homeless are herded blocks away before every political convention, the picket lines are cordoned off across the street away from arriving dignitaries, and enough drivers are bribed to be sure the trash is hauled away in the middle of a garbage strike.

It is rumored that both the Democrats and Republicans actually bribed the homeless to vacate the premises of the conventions in the last election cycle; however we could not persuade our Congresspersons (both Dem & GOP) to admit to that. (They didn't deny it though.)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 09:49 am
At the very least, foxfyre bribing is a little more humane than just busing them out some where else. I can't wait to see what happens in the next couple of days. I see several of the usual each day. Two in particular concern me as they seem to be very nice polite people. They both smile and wave or tip his head to me as I pass by. I hope they will not just be shuttled away like bad garbage.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 09:58 am
I doubt that will happen Linkat. The homeless are an important P.R. constituency for the Dems and they won't risk having them protesting to the press during the convention. They'll be shuttled out of sight, but the Dems will make it worth their while to disappear for awhile.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 06:57 am
My "friends" were still out there this morning.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:05 am
Well who knows? Even Democrats are capable of reforming. Smile
0 Replies