Dry run or thumbing their noses?

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 09:10 am
http://www.womenswallstreet.com/WWS/article_landing.aspx?titleid=1&articleid=711

One woman's account of traveling on Northwest with 14 Middle Eastern men carrying "musical instruments".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 757 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 10:04 am
Quote:
I asked Adams why, based on the FBI's credible information that terrorists may try to assemble bombs on planes, the air marshals or the flight attendants didn't do anything about the bizarre behavior and frequent trips to the lavatory. "Our FAM agents have to have an event to arrest somebody. Our agents aren't going to deploy until there is an actual event," Adams explained. He said he could not speak for the policies of Northwest Airlines.

That paragraph scared the hell out of me. Whether these guys were terrorists or not, there should have been much more oversight! Funny thing, last time I traveled, I was searched. And I'm from Brooklyn!
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 10:34 am
Follow-up article.

http://www.womenswallstreet.com/WWS/article_landing.aspx?titleid=1&articleid=716
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:15 am
Thanks for the follow-up. I found this paragraph particularly illuminating, as it mirrors my thoughts completely:

Quote:
This brings us to the heart of the matter -- political correctness. Political correctness has become a major road block for airline safety. From what I've now learned from the many emails and phone calls that I have had with airline industry personnel, it is political correctness that will eventually cause us to stand there wondering, "How did we let 9/11 happen again?"
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:32 am
As a former flight attendant, I've heard of a few instances similar to this one. That's why I wondered if perhaps they're just "testing". They know the current laws, I presume, so are aware they're untouchable for the most part.

I'll be traveling a good amount starting next month and plan to be politically incorrect and doing my *own* racial profiling. If I see even close to what this woman saw, I'm outta there.

I was pulled aside for the "special" search while traveling last month. When I asked the security personnel how I got picked, she said "it's all done by computer." How comforting.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:37 am
I think that you will find this interesting:

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/woods.htm
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:49 am
I remember his interviews on several TV news shows once the FBI completed their investigation and verification of his claims.

Most of us will be vigilant in watching for anything out of the ordinary now, I think, but the fact that he took note and voiced concerns a month before 9/11/01 is a tribute to Woods' powers of observation.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:51 am
I'm flying to NY on Sunday! Sad
0 Replies