swolf

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:19 am
http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=6854

Political Hay
Sloppy Berger

By George Neumayr
Published 7/21/2004 12:08:11 AM

Quote:

The image of Sandy Berger stuffing notes into his socks at the National Archives conveys the culture of carelessness and corruption under Bill Clinton far better than anything the 9/11 Commission will report. The Commission fails to see that the fundamental explanation for America's porous security before 9/11 is not structural but cultural. Eight years of Clintonian indiscipline exposed America to attack by disciplined terrorists.

America's elite are too enlightened to notice that lax morality produces lax security. But America's enemies are happy to notice even if America's elites won't. Like robbers sizing up a slipshod neighborhood as an easy target, the terrorists saw from the security lapses America casually accepted during the Clinton years that a 9/11 attack was possible.

Perhaps Sandy Berger can defend his stock-stuffing at the National Archives as normative behavior from the Clinton years. Recall when ex-bar bouncer Craig Livingstone, elevated to a security position in the Clinton White House by Hillary Clinton, "inadvertenly"(Berger's word for cramming notes into his clothing) lifted 900 FBI files on political appointees from the Bush Sr. and Reagan administrations. This was mere "sloppiness," of course, as innocent and accidental as placing security information in one's tube sock.

The Clinton administration raised inadvertence to something of an art form. Berger's friends were particularly adept at it. When one of Clinton's CIA directors, John Deutch, inadvertenly took home a CIA-issued computer with top secret information on it, Sandy Berger rushed to his defense, and succeeded in persuading Clinton to pardon him. "Berger and other senior White House officials believed Deutch deserved a pardon even though his home computer security violations were egregious. They cited his overall contributions to the government over many years and the fact that there is no evidence that any of the classified material he mishandled was ever obtained by unauthorized individuals," reported the Washington Post back then.

So there you have it: Go ahead and take classified material home as long as you make sure it doesn't get into the wrong hands. Berger must have been reasoning along these lines during his field trip to the National Archives.

During the Clinton years, you could always count on a report about something missing, from laptops White House interns lifted to computers and documents untraceable at vital agencies. After the State Department lost a computer once, the Clinton administration explained it away merely as an official forgetting to close a door to a "secure" conference room. When White House officials walked off with hundreds of thousands of dollars of presidential souvenirs from Air Force One at the end of Clinton's term, that was explained away as precedent. When a spy placed an eavesdropping device in the State Department, that too was an accidental oversight. Apparently he just walked through the front door. The FBI reported after the incident that its officials had seen a Russian spy loitering near the Foggy Bottom entrance.

Hazel O'Leary, Clinton's Energy Secretary, had figured out his security ethos early on, and just dispensed with security badges for visitors to nuclear labs. Placing security badges on foreign visitors, she famously explained, was discriminatory. Then it was learned that nuclear secrets had been nabbed by Chinese Communists. Sandy Berger's response? "We're talking about breaches of security that happened in the mid-1980s."

Berger was criticized at the time for being blasé about security lapses and failing to report Chinese espionage at nuclear labs to Congress, and for having gone out of his way to interfere with a Justice Department investigation of Loral Space & Communications Ltd. for an illegal transfer of missile technology to China. Berger's Loral lobbying (the press reported that Loral chairman Bernard Schwartz was one of the Democrats' largest soft-money contributors during 1995-1996, and had hired a former National Security Council spokesman) was successful.

Clinton granted a waiver to Loral for the technology transfer, just as Berger successfully pushed Clinton to pardon Deutch. Now Berger has placed himself in a position where it looks like he may need one.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,802 • Replies: 32
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:26 am
Swolf, you would be better off condensing the many Berger threads into one in the future.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:45 am
Hadn't occured to me.

Basically, if this guy doesn't go to jail, I'm outta here. Maybe Russia, maybe Norway, somewhere in the world there has to be a place where people still go to jail for criminal, unpatriotic, and STUPID bullshit like this. I mean, if you or I ever did anything remotely close to this one, they wouldn't even be talking about locks and keys, they'd WELD the bars shut.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:48 am
A pleasant thought.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

swolf wrote:
Basically, if this guy doesn't go to jail, I'm outta here.

Don't toy with us, swolf. You shouldn't get our hopes up unless you're really serious.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Eh, at least wait until Hitlary runs for the big chair.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:52 am
Dont go to Russia, swolf, the country's unstable enough as it is. Norway sounds much better. Or Switzerland.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:54 am
"McGentrix, that's Hillary, or was that an attempt to be "funny"?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:55 am
swolf I'd like to say we'll miss you. I can't though.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:56 am
:wink:
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:01 am
Wanna know what's sloppy?

Sloppy is a room full of government employees standing around watching a man alledegely stuffing classified documents down his pants and his socks.

Sloppy would be for those same employees to stand and WATCH but do NOTHING to stop him

Sloppy would be for those same employees again watch as he WALKS OUT THE DOOR WITH CLASSIFIED MATERIALS.

Does anyone know if they called the FBI right after he left? or did they wait for the FBI to come to them?

Why are they still working there?

Another major lapse in security and instead of firing the people who failed to do their jobs people are more interested in an 8 MONTH OLD INVESTIGATION that so far as wielded nothing. More ineptness.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:08 am
Wow. Even after admitting that he did it, you still can't accept that fact and feel the need to lay the blame elsewhere.

Also, where do you get the idea that he was in "a room full of government employees standing around watching a man alledegely stuffing classified documents down his pants and his socks."? I haven't read that tidbit yet.

source?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:21 am
The double standard is alive and well. If this was a Republican, the left would be screaming for his head on a platter. Jail would be too good for him. I can't imagine those on the right defending this activity even from one of their own.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:22 am
Foxfyre wrote:
The double standard is alive and well. If this was a Republican, the left would be screaming for his head on a platter. Jail would be too good for him. I can't imagine those on the right defending this activity even from one of their own.

Indeed it is.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:27 am
You don't hear me defending Berger :wink: I'm just here for the fun! (and fun is in the air indeed Cool )
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:39 am
Redheat wrote:

Sloppy would be for those same employees again watch as he WALKS OUT THE DOOR WITH CLASSIFIED MATERIALS.

Maybe they were afraid their cat or one of their kids would get killed if they said anything:

http://www.dartreview.com/archives/1998/10/07/saving_kathleen_willeys_cat.php

Quote:

Recently, Willey reported that her cat has disappeared, her tires have been slashed, and, after that, she was accosted by a stranger on a jogging path. A man ran up to her and asked about her cat, questioned why she didn't 'get it' and suggested that her children might be next.

I mean, that IS the way team Clinton operates. This Burger character, by the way, was in line to become Kerry's CIA director.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:39 am
McGentix made a startling observation when he wrote:
...a room full of government employees standing around watching a man alledegely stuffing classified documents down his pants...

BiPolarBear plays at government functions? And since when did he switch from a kielbasa to classified documents?

Seems like that would create a lumpy look -- not the sort of thing a person wants when trying to attract government groupies.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:42 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
McGentix made a startling observation when he wrote:
...a room full of government employees standing around watching a man alledegely stuffing classified documents down his pants...

BiPolarBear plays at government functions? And since when did he switch from a kielbasa to classified documents?

Seems like that would create a lumpy look -- not the sort of thing a person wants when trying to attract government groupies.

Laughing
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:43 am
swolf, that Kathleen Willey story really touched you, not?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:45 am
swolf, the scuttlebutt I heard was that Sandy Berger was in line to be Kerry's Secretary of State. That is why this is such a big deal actually.
0 Replies