Stop and Search

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 11:26 pm
If a higher proportion of the black community commit/are convicted of crime than other communities in a given area, why is it racist to stop and search more black people than other races in that area?

fresco

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 01:21 am
@Smithy5386,
Because the treatment of any individual on the basis of a stereotype is a display of prejudice. Whereas prejudice could be either positive or negative, racism is generally negative.
Smithy5386

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 04:35 am
@fresco,
Prejudice and racism aside, isn't it logical to target resources towards the community committing more crime in a given area?
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 04:44 am
You are very likely going to find more "criminals" in said community because you are looking for them there. Those engaged in criminal activities from other groups are going to get a pass. So criminals from the white community are less likely to be caught, because resources are not focused on their activities--reinforcing the stereotype. It's the equivalent of saying he must be guilty or he wouldn't be on trial.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 06:33 am
@Smithy5386,
Individual rights are not a probability game. If you have no reason to suspect me of a crime, let me go about my business. Saying "well, two percent of criminals have brown eyes while one one percent of blue eyed people, so we are going to routinely stop all brown eyed people puts an unfair burden on just one group for no other reason than the color of eyes they were born with. If you want to intrude on people's rights for the sake of security, you have to do it equally.
jespah

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 08:13 am
@engineer,
'Sides it gets into hair-splitting. Do you detain all brown-skinned people? Gee, then folks from Southeast Asia are in your sights. Or people who've tanned at the beach and have curly hair. After all, we're going by pigment here, not probable cause and not even a background check on a name.
Smithy5386

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 09:08 am
@jespah,
It's not just the colour of peoples' skin that gets them stopped by the police, it's the area they're in, how they dress and how they carry themselves. As for background checks - they need to be stopped by the police before that can be carried out.

But we could look at this another way - black communities all seem to have the same problems of poverty and crime. Is this due to racism on the part of the host countries, or is it a reflection of the issues present in the countries they originate from?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 09:08 am
@jespah,
I think you are missing the point a bit. Police don't have a program of detecting someone's race or even their level of criminality.

They use their intuition. They look at someone and their gut tells them whether this person is likely to be a threat or not.
snood

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 09:12 am
Oh good lord. Why don't we just round up all the undesirables and ship 'em back to where they came from? There, I said it. Saves you from wracking your brain for more palatable phrasing and typing all those words.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 09:13 am
@maxdancona,
No - it's that if they are basing their decision re a threat level on skin color, then it's absurd. It is hairsplitting.

I don't doubt that the police do a difficult, dangerous job every day. And I understand that a lot of decisions are snap ones. You could not pay me enough to do the job.

But when the focus is on race (and yes, clothing) and not on more concrete issues such as behaviors, then it's misplaced. Go after everyone who looks like they're carrying illegally. Sure, go for it. But not based on skin tone.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 09:17 am
@jespah,
Quote:
No - it's that if they are basing their decision re a threat level on skin color, then it's absurd. It is hairsplitting.

I think most officers are not making a conscious decision about skin color. Ask them, they will tell you they use their gut or their intuition.

I don't think it is hairsplitting. I think it an important distinction and a part of the discussion. This is why when you consider a police officer who stops more black people than white people as racist, they will disagree... in their mind they are just using their abilities as a police officer.

There is a difference between conscious racism and subconscious racism. The results may not be different... but this difference is important for the discussion and for any solutions.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 11:47 am
No American should have their rights trampled on because of someone's gut. Too many people have died making and defending the rights we have for them to be trampled over like that. That is why Stop & Frisk is a terrible thing.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 11:57 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Because the treatment of any individual on the basis of a stereotype is a display of prejudice.

That's one reason, why many women are descriminated against in the work force.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 12:01 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

They use their intuition. They look at someone and their gut tells them whether this person is likely to be a threat or not.

The Police are "street wise". They have to be, or the perverts roaming our streets and public bath rooms would never be caught.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 12:37 pm
If Docs, who work in hospital ERs, that have a large black patient population to care for, carry a gun for protection, would this be called racisim?

Miller

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 08:42 am
If you're not street-wise and you don't carry some sort of protection to defend yourself with, you better pray that a street-wise cop is near by.

I've only known smart, decent Cops, who're street-wise from my life growing up in Chicago. I have nothing bad to say about these Cops, nor will I ever!

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2015 11:49 pm
@Miller,
Miller Quote:

Quote:
If Docs, who work in hospital ERs, that have a large black patient population to care for, carry a gun for protection, would this be called racisim?

Ask the Docs to work in these hospitals!

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2015 11:50 pm
@Miller,
[b]Miller Quote:[/b]

Quote:

Ask the Docs who work in these hospitals!

0 Replies