Opinions on Madison, Wisconsin

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 06:36 pm
Lake Geneva. You?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 06:56 pm
Lived there for many years, on Darwin just off Curtis, lived in the area for many more. Lotsa family still in the neighborhood, both sides of the state line.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 07:02 pm
Figures. You certainly seem a fine example of what I said about the people. I don't miss the winters but the only other place I've encountered such a genuinely friendly population is in Costa Rica. That part I do miss.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 07:04 pm
I understand I once had a helluva good time in Costa Rica.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 07:05 pm
Pretty tough not to, eh? :wink:
0 Replies

persia

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 08:39 am
Opinions on Madison, Wisconsin
I was born and raised in Wisconsin and lived for 20 years in Madison Area (Shorewood Hills, Middleton, Madison). It's an addicting place and you get to beleive that it's the center of the universe. Recently I moved away for 4 years and returned. Now the rose colored glasses are removed I can say the following.

1) It is extremely over-rated, the much touted Concerts on the Square are crowded, the sound system is poor or worse and people are generally rude.
2) It's a small place. For a population of 300K it's footprint is tiny, you can get pretty much anywhere in half an hour. Housing density is high and it's parks per person figures are misstated because they include the aboretum buried in the south side, which is huge.
3) The lakes smell awful.
4) Since most of the one way streets are downoawn, the drivers haven't a clue about how to drive on othem and make turns from wrong lanes, etc.
5)Supermarkets are inconveniently located, may people have long drives to supermarkets and much of the working class east side appears to be a "supermarket free zone."
6)The educational system is a patchwork of good and bad. Some schools are absolutely horrible. Around the university Shorewood Elementary is very good, as it West High school, most of the schools west of the capital are fair to good, but east of the capital forget about it. Best all around is the Middleton School District, smaller with more money.
7)The controversial arts district is the vision of one man with a lot of money to give. It sucks the art resources out of neighborhoods and puts it all in a series of fortress like structures downtown.
8)Old Madisonians think of Madison the way it used to be, not the way it is now, it is a victim of it's own success, it's overcrowded, dirty, has bad roads.
9)The bus system is horrible, you used to be able to get from plae to place relatively easily, now most trips require a stop at hell (aka Transfer Point). These are cold places located far from facilities where lost travellers gather in the vain hope fo getting home some day. The "North" Tranfer point is about a mile from the "East" Tranfer point, which seems silly. They destroyed a viable business in the economically depressed South side to build a transfer point there. The Square is NOT A TRANSFER POINT, even though it is, therefore buses don't have to wait for late buses and people that have to transfer there are on their own.

Bottom line - The Madison of the '80s is a wondeful place, iff you can move there, you'll love it. The Madison of the 00's is fraught with problems, think seriously about warmer alternatives before moving to it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 08:49 am
Huh. Very informative, persia, thanks. I lived there '89 to '97, so I guess I got about the best of it. Was certainly wonderful then.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:04 am
Very informative indeedÂ… what a pity. Sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:06 am
Re: Opinions on Madison, Wisconsin
persia wrote:
5)Supermarkets are inconveniently located, may people have long drives to supermarkets and much of the working class east side appears to be a "supermarket free zone."

Thank you, persia.

Told you guys we couldn't find milk.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:09 am
No kidding -- except for the Willy Street Co-op, I have to drive at least three miles to get to any sort of food store. Loads of liquor stores and bars, though.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:22 am
Milk, Hell . . . by Dog, i wanted half-and-half . . .
0 Replies