Opinions on Madison, Wisconsin

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 11:38 pm
My wife and I are thinking about moving there. I grew up in Minneapolis so I know all about the cold winters and humid summers, mosquitos and that kind of thing. I also visited relatives there a couple times of year while growing up. But I haven't been to Madison in at least ten years so I don't know how much it has changed lately. I'm also looking for advice on specific neighborhoods. My relatives live close to the football stadium so I am familiar with that area as well as the square.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,847 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 11:40 pm
I found it impossible to get a pint of half-and-half on a Sunday morning once, and in Wisconsin no less. There's something very, very disturbing about Madison, and i don't just mean the dogs on the patio, either.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:40 pm
Now, Setanta...I gotta wonder bout a guy who can't find milk in Wisconsin. But that's a whole nuther kettle o'fish.

bleibalien, I love Madison although it's not what it was in the sixties. It is still a bastien of liberalism and free thinking. There is always something interesting going on.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:46 pm
I lived in Madison for a time but I was too stoned to remember much about it.

I do remember buildings and people. And there might have been a lake somewhere.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:46 pm
Go go go go go!!

I grew up in Minneapolis, then went to the University of Wisconsin-Madison and lived there for 8 years. I moved away in 1997, so my experience is almost as far removed as yours in, now. (Sigh.) But I've gone back to visit, and stay in touch with people who live there.

There is a major Minneapolis-Madison connection; reciprocity between the state schools may be the origin, (residents of MN get reduced UW tuition, residents of WI get reduced U of M tuition), but it extends much further than that. People who like one city usually like the other; Madison is smaller and in some ways friendlier, but they have a very similar general flavor.

I think it's a beautiful city, one of my favorite places in the world.

In terms of recommended neighborhoods, give me some info about what you're looking for -- are you grad students? Do you have kids? Etc.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:53 pm
Hi, Soz!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:55 pm
Hi, Swimp!! Your apparent twin (not so much physical, but definitely spiritual) lives next door -- sozlet loves her.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:58 pm
Smile
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:01 pm
Swimpy, I can't believe you said hi to Soz, but completely ignored me.

What's up with that?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:03 pm
Sorry, Gus. How rude of me. Hi, Gus!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:04 pm
Oh, just noticed the avatar! Excellent! I saw a bunch of Rosie t-shirts at the airport a while ago, asked why, it was something about supporting the war effort. Hmph. That one's much better.

Hi Setanta!

And welcome to A2K, bleibalien!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:05 pm
I feel much better now.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:08 pm
I'm currently living in Madison, on the isthmus. What sort of info are you looking for? What's your situation, what are your housing needs, what are you planning on doing when you get here, do plan on bringing offspring with you, do you like road work?
0 Replies

bleibalien

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 07:51 pm
I'm married with a one year old son. We are looking to move somewhere that is a good place to raise kids. I've been working as a public high school teacher here in southern California. I have an English credential and a vocational education credential. I teach English, video production and web design.

I've been hearing that the job market in Madison is very tight, especially for teachers. We are looking to buy a house there and the other thing that scares me is the high property taxes. Other than those two things it is seeming like the perfect place for us. We are also thinking of Portland but the crime and traffic seem to be a little daunting.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 09:09 pm
I went to the UW as part of getting my master's in education -- the buzz was definitely "move away from Madison if you want to get a job." It's a great department (Education), and people fall in love with Madison and want to stay. This is good for kids -- highly competitive market, good teachers -- but not as good for teachers.

So good news and bad news there. (Raising a kid/ finding a job.)

That information is again about 7 years old, though, patiodog will be able to give you a more current scoop.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 12:17 pm
Yeah, chronic underemployment is a definite problem here. Not just graduates from the UW who want to stick around, but also people who come in as spouses of academics and work below their potential. I talked to a tri-lingual and highly educated Chilean woman at a party a couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe the service-level jobs she's taken since coming here (as the wife of a law student). I doubt either of us will be sticking around after school's over because of market saturation...

It does strike me as a great place to raise kids, though. (And they're talking about putting in the first community pool, finally...)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 12:45 pm
Madison itself might not be the best spot if considerations are job opportunities, housing costs, or taxes, but there are plenty of towns within easy driving distance of Madison that are entirely another story. Madison does have some great civic infrastructure - quite cosmopolitan, its sorta the Berkeley of the Midwest, and some great nightlife, if you're into that. And to reinforce a point Patiodog raised, Wisconsin has some of the best roadwork you'll ever find - we've got 2 seasons; snow and road construction. You never have to go far to find a detour ... plenty of wonderful opportunities to really see the countryside Mr. Green

Oh, and I was there the morning Setanta met his dairy woes ... I couldn't figure that one out, either. I figure that was a personal flaw on his part. :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 02:59 pm
grrrrrrrr

I was part of that milk search.
Gotta say, I'll probably never have much positive to say about Madison. The milk's just a part of it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 03:48 pm
Shocked Trouble finding milk in Madison? Laughing About an hour ride South on HWY 12 will take you to my home town. Finest group of people in the country to my knowledge. Don't forget to pick up a "Cheese Head at the border!

My Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather passed down a picture of Gustav when he was still a Cheesehead. It was taken before consuming Mad Dog 20/20 like it was a building block of life made his hair turn gray and his mind turn soft (the only conceivable reason to stop worshipping the Pack). I think I still have it.

http://www.charactersunlimitedinc.com/images/22apr2001j.jpg

Ps. Don't look in hardware stores for milk. :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:24 pm
O'Bill wrote:
... About an hour ride South on HWY 12 will take you to my home town ...

Hour South of Madtown on 12? Elkhorn, Lake Geneva, Genoa City - thereabouts?
0 Replies