Passive/Active voice - how would you rewrite this sentence?

Greyman

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:12 pm
Howdy folks,

Microsoft Word is flagging the following sentence fragment as using the passive rather than active voice:

"Existing alerts that utilise those paths are not being updated"

MSWord flags the "are not being updated" part as using the passive voice. Flagging it as such is of course reasonable, but how would one rewrite that fragment in such a way that it uses the active voice, but does not sound stilted or artificial?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,823 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:55 pm
@Greyman,
using active words or word phrases.
Greyman

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 03:06 am
@Ragman,
Thanks Ragman, but I was hoping for a more concrete example than that - I thought my post made it fairly clear that I understood the general meaning of the highlighted problem Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 05:33 am
@Greyman,
Paths are not being updated that utilise those existing alerts.

It's still a pretty bad sentence. You might also try

When you use the existing alerts, the paths using them are not being updated.
McTag

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 05:40 am
@jespah,

Still passive, no?
jespah

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 05:48 am
@McTag,
It is. The idea being gotten across is - I think - that if you do x, you aren't updating y, which is causing the z pathways to not update. I believe more information is necessary in order to figure out how to effectively convert it to active.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 07:15 am
@Greyman,
Alerts that utilize these paths are not updated.

Or

Alerts that utilize these paths were not updated.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 09:03 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Alerts that utilize these paths are not updated.

Or

Alerts that utilize these paths were not updated.

Yeah, the problematic verb for Word is "are being."
0 Replies

jwoodwar

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 08:38 am
@Greyman,
My version, using active voice constrcution, is :
Those responsible for updating the existing alerts of "named paths" are not doing it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 01:44 pm
@Greyman,
Get your arse in gear and update the paths the existing alerts need to utilise, you muppet.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2017 04:28 am
There is a myth that you should never use the passive voice in good writing, and this is why MS-Word complains. Many grammar and language experts have described Word's grammar advice as flawed or even useless. Despite the admonitions of grammar checkers, the passive construction has a legitimate function. When you want to emphasize results, use the passive. In any case, the question of whether to use active or passive is a matter of style, not grammar, and should be left to the writer. Personally, I think that the text which Word is complaining about is perfectly fine, and needs no alteration. It is the most effective way of getting the message across. Ask yourself - who is writing this material, me, here, now, or the folks who put together the Word grammar and style checker?

layman

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2017 04:36 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

Despite the admonitions of grammar checkers, the passive construction has a legitimate function. When you want to emphasize results, use the passive. In any case, the question of whether to use active or passive is a matter of style, not grammar, and should be left to the writer.

Exactly. These grammar police, especially the phony one's who aint knowwin no kinda good grammar in the first damn place, can kiss my ass.

Just leave me be, cheese-eaters.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2017 04:56 am
Also, this sounds like some kind of corporate or business communication, and these can often be best phrased in the passive voice, especially where an active phrasing could suggest finger-pointing or witch-hunting. Consider:

The monthly finance reports are not being correctly filed.

Someone (or some people) are not filing the monthly finance reports correctly.

You don't want to start a blame game or get people arguing. You just want the reports to be correctly filed.

Grammar and style checkers have the same weaknesses, in some ways, as sat-navs. You are driving the car, not the device. Consider its suggestions, but make up your own mind. Anyhow, you can go into Word's settings and select "grammar and style", or just "grammar", or turn off the checking altogether, or just the things you don't want it to whine about.

https://i.imgbox.com/WfWupO5m.jpg
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2017 06:50 am
I don't see why I got thumbed-down there. If the person was not a coward, they would have posted why they disagreed.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2017 10:28 am
@centrox,
I posted you back up.

Maybe it's the phantom down thumber busy playing with his fingers.
centrox

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2017 01:42 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Thank, Osso. I have reciprocated.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2017 07:14 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

I posted you back up.

Maybe it's the phantom down thumber busy playing with his fingers.

He thought it was my post, that's all
0 Replies