Unfair and unbalanced

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 05:20 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I think Hillary Clinton has been the object of unfair scrutiny.

What did she think was the result of a long history of not being available to Journalists, with very heavy handed attempts to manage journalists? Showing disrespect and disregard has a habit of getting it returned. A politician with even minimal competence would know this. Hillary apparently does not. While I know her wet dream is to control the media like Putin does that is not the current situation here.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 06:17 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I think Hillary Clinton has been the object of unfair scrutiny. You do not. We disagree.

Snood, you are making a claim in this thread; that Hillary Clinton has been the object of unfair scrutiny. This type of claim can and should be tested with evidence. This is the way to honestly examine claims of this nature.

I have provided several examples of other candidates who were the object of more "unfair" scrutiny than Hillary Clinton. I offered Obama, and Romney and McCain as people who had at least as much scrutiny as Hillary Clinton. After further reflection, it was John Kerry who got the worst of it (after Obama). What Hillary is facing is rather routine (if not a easier to this point than what John Edwards and John McCain endured).

You are making a claim that Hillary is target of unfair scrutiny. I claim that what she is facing is rather typical for top tier candidates. I am not accepting your offer to just agree to disagree.

I am asking that we look at actual facts to test if the Hillary narrative holds any water. To this point you haven't offered much in the way of facts to support this narrative.

In my opinion, it is just another in a long line of slick Clinton marketing techniques.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 06:21 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
In my opinion, it is just another in a long line of slick Clinton marketing techniques.

"hillary is the victim of the media" would be perfect lie for her, but no way is she that good at this game, or willing to take such a risk of failure. The press is tough on her, because they learned long before most that she cant ever be trusted, and because overall she is a bitch.

Not fair really, but I get it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 06:38 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am not accepting your offer to just agree to disagree.

What's a good response to that, without being imprudent? I am not going to engage with you at length over this point. You can accept it, or declare victory and bluster, or howl at the moon. Sheesh.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 07:02 pm
@snood,
It's fine Snood, you don't have to engage with me or continue the discussion in any way.

I am stating for anyone who cares to read my posts that in my opinion the facts don't support your thesis. And, I have provided the core points of my case; examples of top tier political candidates in the past few election cycles, that have received at least as much scrutiny as Hillary.

I would enjoy it if you (or someone else) would engage by either agreeing with my examples, or coming up with counter-examples.

But, of course I accept that you are under no obligation to do so.
Foofie

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 07:48 pm
@maxdancona,
Is the title of this thread a take-off on Fox News' "Fair and Balanced"? If yes, then I do not see how it relates to Hillary? Or, is there sarcasm in the thread's title?

The way I see it, Hillary being brought up in the Methodist faith should not say "ouch" when she gets her "Baptism in Fire." It goes with the territory.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:22 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
The way I see it, Hillary being brought up in the Methodist faith should not say "ouch" when she gets her "Baptism in Fire." It goes with the territory.

Seriously? Someone recently told me that Methodists are THE MOST repressed people around. This makes sense with her.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 12:27 am
@maxdancona,
Dont you think it odd that they all jump on Hillery and give most of the republicans a by. Even st Bernie gets a pass unless you think saying Bernie has caught Hillery or passed her every 5 minutes is veting him.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 12:33 am
@maxdancona,
Can you see that 97 Bengazi investigations are a little much. And no proof of wrong doing even in the e mail thing unless you think the fact they say she is guilty in the first paragraph but if you read on to the last paragraph they admit she did nothing illegal because when she received and sent them they werent secret.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 03:35 am
@RABEL222,
Let me ask you this, Rabel. Do you think if the front runner candidate for the Democratic nomination were named John Kerry (instead of Hillary Clinton) that the Republicans would be any nicer or more civil?

No, I don't find it odd at all that the current Republicans are slinging mud at that front runner for the Democratic nomination.

That is how the game is played these days.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 03:39 am
@RABEL222,
Yes I see that that the 97 Benghazi investigations are a little much. But what's the point? Hillary is being treated the way any other man or woman would be treated in this circumstance.

It comes with the job.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 06:01 pm
@maxdancona,
No surprise that a conservative media jump her every chance they get. The surprise is that they dont even ask the republican candidates any hard questions. The Koch brothers and their 400 billionare club have things well in hand.
snood

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 09:47 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

No surprise that a conservative media jump her every chance they get. The surprise is that they dont even ask the republican candidates any hard questions. The Koch brothers and their 400 billionare club have things well in hand.

Yes!! I mean, look at the wide path they're letting Trump have, with no resistance. Don't you think Trump could be asked anything about shady past dealings with the mob, or unethical hiring of undocumented, or poor hiring records with blacks and women, or ANYTHING? Doesn't everyone realize that if he's such a slick business man and wheeler-dealer as he claims, they wouldn't have to dig very deep to uncover sleaze and shadiness? But they keep jumping up and down on Hillary, then lamenting about how her numbers suffer! It's maddening!
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 10:45 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Doesn't everyone realize that if he's such a slick business man and wheeler-dealer as he claims, they wouldn't have to dig very deep to uncover sleaze and shadiness?
His claim is that he follows the law, and that as a businessman he would be stupid to not take advantage when he legally can, and if we dont like the laws then we need to change the laws but dont heap any scorn on him.

That should mostly work. I dont for instance see Trump U getting him in trouble, nor all of the low wage migrants he imports, nor his bankruptcies, nor being cozy with politicians, nor his huckster exaggerations. So far as we know he has stayed on the right side of the law, and instead of sleazy his behavior gets read as "fighter".

Anyways, the fact the journalists have not uncovered any criminality with Trump might mean that their is none to discover, not that no effort was made to uncover it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 05:16 am
@snood,
Quote:
Yes!! I mean, look at the wide path they're letting Trump have, with no resistance.

You really think so Snood?

The media seems to be treating Trump like a side show clown. There are stories about his inability to answer basic questions on foreign policy, there is strong kickback on his immigration nonsense and there are even jokes about his hair.

I don't think the media is treating Trump very well. (For the record I think the disdain is earned).
maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 05:17 am
@maxdancona,
I also don't think they are being that hard on Clinton. She is the front runner after all and the person that many think is most likely to be our next president. Do you really think the press should give her a pass on the email server? It is a real story. The issue is transparency in government which is an important issue for a national campaign.

You still have provided zero evidence that Hillary is being treated differently than any other person who was front runner in the presidential race in the past 20 years.

Anyone who runs for national office will be faced with difficult questions about their record. This is part of the job.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 08:56 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Yes!! I mean, look at the wide path they're letting Trump have, with no resistance.

You really think so Snood?

The media seems to be treating Trump like a side show clown. There are stories about his inability to answer basic questions on foreign policy, there is strong kickback on his immigration nonsense and there are even jokes about his hair.

I don't think the media is treating Trump very well. (For the record I think the disdain is earned).

The main problem with Trump's media treatment is that there is too damn much of it. I mean, MSNBC and CNN had a "breaking news" banner scrolling underneath, as they carried Trump's Iowa speechIN IT'S ENTIRETY - as if he was going to break some new ground or actually provide something substantive , KNOWING he is not. Who else get's that kind of free advertisement? You say he's being treated like a clown, and if that were true it would help matters, but the treatment I see is from the media is dumbfounded, awestruck circular thinking - "Why do people keep paying attention to him? We go now live to Trump insulting another candidate"
It's insane. One of the meme's in the 'Take our country Back - Make Our Country Great Again' schema is the one that says "other countries are laughing at us". I submit that they should be laughing. Mostly because we take this self-aggrandizing real estate huckster seriously, and watch everything he does like he's going to **** gold and pass it among the masses.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 09:52 am
@snood,
The Trump campaign is a train wreck... and the media loves a good train wreck.

The press isn't supporting his candidacy (which everyone knows isn't really going anywhere). They aren't protecting him or presenting him positively. For example, they covered his attack on Mexicans pretty well and have provided plenty of time to get responses from Mexican Americans. And they covered the fact he can't answer simple foreign policy questions.

I kind of agree with you that the press is playing into his charades... but the commercial press is about getting eyeballs for advertisers and Trump does this for them. I don't know what else you would expect from the commercial media.

snood

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 10:26 am
@maxdancona,
Yeah, I guess you're right that all we can express from the "If it bleeds it leads" press is a quest for the most bang for their buck. I guess being from the generation that came up watching Mike Wallace, Dan Rather and other people that actually equated journalism as a quest for truth kinda ruined my sense of perspective when I watch the news. I really should know better.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 12:14 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I guess being from the generation that came up watching Mike Wallace, Dan Rather and other people that actually equated journalism as a quest for truth kinda ruined my sense of perspective when I watch the news.

Ted Koppel, Brian Lamb did it for me.
0 Replies