What does the phrase kicking stones mean?

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 08:36 pm
I am not sure if I tagged this right... Lol Does anyone have an Idea? I have pondered this for several hours today, looked up definitions, and I am still just not certain what it means, or if it means a anything at all. I am meaning as if someone were to say to you, "No more kicking stones.... Insert your name here..."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 10,668 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 08:40 pm
@onevoice,
I think it's just used to note a typical idle activity. Chewing gum just doesn't fit.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 09:14 pm
@onevoice,
there is an idiom about kicking cans down the road

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/kick+the+can+down+the+road.html

maybe the person using it thought it would work with stones?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 12:16 am
@onevoice,

Aimless activity. Idling.
onevoice

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 07:52 am
Hum... It actually came to me... In my own mind. Lol I have been trying to get back up to walking five miles a day. Walking is kind of a stress reliever for me. Being surrounded by nature has always had a way of helping me to come to a sense of peace when everything appears to be going arry. There's been a lot of stress in the last five months. So while walking, at the same spot every day I would kick a rock...

Kinda like, "Argh... This sucks, so I'm just gonna kick this rock because that's the only thing I CAN do right now." Well, on my walk yesterday I went to do the same thing I have done almost every day for the last month. Kick a rock. Only this time when I lifted my foot up to do it a thought popped into my mind...

"It's time to stop kicking rocks, Robin." (Yes, that's my name.) Well, I completely missed the rock and darn near fell on my hiney! Lol Luckily there was no one around to see... Hehe But then I thought, what does that even mean? Kicking rocks... I looked it up and couldn't find anything except a song written about it and an urban definition that stated it is another way of telling someone to F off.

So then I started evaluating what I thought and wondering if it had ever been, or even could be used in that context. I am not a very well learned person in some ways. I graduated high school. Barely. Never went to college. I hated school. However, I read a LOT as a kid. It was an emotional escape that drew my attention away from the things that were happening around me, and took me to a place I could actually FEEL happy.

When they tested my reading level in the ninth grade I tested at an above college reading level. My brain confuses me a lot. I pop of words or phrases sometimes that I have to look up myself thinking, "Where in the world did that come from?! What does it even mean? Am I using it in the right context? Oh yeah... It does (not always)... How did I know that? Huh... Must have read it somewhere I guess! Lol
BarerMender

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2022 03:12 am
@onevoice,
"Kicking the stone" refers to Samuel Johnson's refutation of George Berkeley's philosophy of immaterialism:
“After we came out of the church, we stood talking for some time together of Bishop Berkeley’s ingenious sophistry to prove the non-existence of matter, and that every thing in the universe is merely ideal. I observed, that though we are satisfied his doctrine is not true, it is impossible to refute it. I never shall forget the alacrity with which Johnson answered, striking his foot with mighty force against a large stone, till he rebounded from it, ‘I refute it thus.'”(Boswell’s Life of Samuel Johnson, quoted from Wikipedia.)
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2022 02:48 am
@McTag,
As a non native speaker masochism came to mind as stones are compact massive objects...unless of course by stones one means pebbles.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2022 11:01 am
@onevoice,
I think you are a very reflective and contemplative, reasoning person. And you seem to have a penchant for writing. With practice and some study you're writing will get better and better with time.

We have some similarities. I walk everyday in a wild place, and I like to write.
0 Replies