Part of a noun or an adjective

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:40 pm
I was trying to write a simple definition for the word "intrinsic" and wrote "essentially part of something". My coworker corrected it to "essential part of something", which I took issue with, as "essential part of something" sounds like the definition of a noun, whereas I am defining an adjective.

So in my coworker's correction, the word "part" is being used as a noun. In my first draft, was I using the word "part" incorrectly? Can an adverb (essentially) be used before the phrase "part of"? It just got me curious. Love to hear your input!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,261 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:11 pm
It all depends on HOW this word is used IN A SENTENCE.

You cannot take one word out of context and expect to come up with a definition or its part of speech.
bmcbridester

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:19 pm
@PUNKEY,
Well, as I'm writing a definition, I can't exactly use a sentence, but I think I see your point. So to clarify, here are the two contexts I'm looking at.

intrinsic (adj.) = essentially part of something
intrinsic (adj.) = essential part of something

I don't like the second definition, because the word "part" is being use as a noun, and I am defining an adjective.
So in the first definition, I am curious to know whether the word "part" or the phrase "part of" is being used incorrectly, and if not, how would you explain its use?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 09:06 pm
Maybe this will help you:

essential = adjective
essentially = adverb
0 Replies