Why do so many so-called Christians turn backwards to the Old Testament?

Amoh5

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 09:49 pm
@reasoning logic,
My allegiance doesn't belong to you either. "No one comes to Father except through me" thats an absolute quote from Lord Jesus. Are you a Christian? I am
Leadfoot

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 10:18 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Family is a vital reality and aspect of life that comes from God. If you don't have a sense of family towards yourself or any other human being, your lost. A stranger in a strange place, not to mention being a stranger to yourself also, a horrible lonely predicament I'd say. Family is about procreation, support and survival which can only come from God. You seem like a bible literalist, i'm not. Lord Jesus did say he was speaking figuratively. My understanding is that the sword is the word of God from Lord Jesus. The world is a warring battle ground for the survival of all species including humans. How do they survive without killing? My understanding of the turning against family members is about rejecting old concepts and accepting his version of the word of God. If they don't then they are not worthy of enlightenment. I don't see Lord Jesus as a human hater.
Not sure where you got that I implied Jesus was a human hater nor that I am a literalist. I explained what I thought Jesus meant by those words, do you disagree? If so, what do you think they meant since you claim to treasure his words so much.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 03:49 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
Yes he is an ethics teacher, but you forgot the other part, OF GOD.

You speak as if you are speaking for God. Is this not your belief? What if you are wrong?
You would be a false prophet a teacher of deception.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 03:55 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
My allegiance doesn't belong to you either.

It is clear to me that you have an allegiance with an interpretation that your brain gives you about a person name Jesus you have read about.

Amoh5

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 05:41 am
@reasoning logic,
You imlpied that I refere the virtue of family in the abscence of God, And literally believe that Lord Jesus intended to run around with a sword inciting hatred among families. Now your implying that I think I'm a prophet or something. What part of "I am a Christian" don't you understand?
Leadfoot

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 06:45 am
@Amoh5,
Ya gotta keep the players straight Amoh5.

You claim to be a Christian and yet you seek to disavow the words of your Lord.
Amoh5

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 07:05 am
@Leadfoot,
I get the impression that you are not a Christian. But I don't discriminate people for their beliefs, if it keeps you well and thriving thats fine with me.
Leadfoot

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 07:17 am
@Amoh5,
First I'm a bible thumping literalist.
Now I'm not even a Christian.

For the record, I believe Jesus was the only begotten Son of God. I don't need a label but I'm whatever that makes me.

I noticed you didn't answer my question though. I think you are avoiding it.
Amoh5

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 07:25 am
@Leadfoot,
What question was that?
Leadfoot

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 09:02 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
What question was that?

Short memory?

You started out by saying only Jesus's words were worthy of following.

Then you said Jesus taught family ethics and values were the primary things we should look to.

I then asked you what Jesus meant by his words here:

"Matthew 10:34-37 KJV
[34] Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. [35] For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. [36] And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. [37] He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. …"

I gave you my interpretation ( if you read your own thread) so now I'm asking for yours.
neologist

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 09:57 am
@Amoh5,
Amoh5 wrote:
Its because they don't know who the absolute teacher is. Lord Jesus does not condone such behaviour. Thats what I mean when so-called Christians stray away from the words of Lord Jesus.
Are you saying you would not take up arms?
0 Replies

Foofie

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 10:48 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Foofie wrote:
And scholars consider Jesus an anti-Roman zealot. His "love" might not have extended to the occupying Romans.

Which scholars are those?

The ones that were on some PBS documentary about the life of Jesus a year or two ago.
Foofie

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 10:57 am
In my opinion, if the OT is tossed in the trash heap by Christians (Jews just read the OT; the NT is not of interest to them), then those that would want to eliminate Christianity can question whether Jesus was a Jew, and extrapolating, if the bible prophecy of His Second Coming has any validity, since the OT reading Israelites can be then relegated to a myth. I thought Jews had to live in a Zionist nation for bible prophecy to come to fruition? If that is true, then no OT, then one can just assimilate all the Jews, and Christianity becomes another Christmas story at best, in my opinion.

0 Replies

neologist

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 12:10 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
The ones that were on some PBS documentary about the life of Jesus a year or two ago.
And of course, we must always believe the TV
InfraBlue

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 12:23 pm
@Foofie,
"From Jesus to Christ," I remember now. John D. Crossan posited the anti-Roman take on Jesus.
0 Replies

Foofie

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 12:24 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Foofie wrote:
And of course, we must always believe the TV

There were interviews of academics who took an interest from a secular perspective, who was the man Jesus. By the way, Jews were there, and saw him as an anti-Roman zealot. However, the Gentile followers that made the religion beyond the early sect of Jews, obviously had their own version to promulgate. Nothing reflecting secular inquiry, I would think.
neologist

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 12:33 pm
@Foofie,
The pharisees were eager to convince Pilate that Jesus was a seditionist. But in their "trial" they accused him of blasphemy.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 01:54 pm
@Leadfoot,
I don't disavow the words of Lord Jesus. I only disavow your queer sense of reasoning. I already explained to you Lord Jesus was speaking figuratively (short memory or reading?), the sword is the word of God his new testament, which will clash with Old Testament ideas within families... If you do not accept his new testament, you are not worthy of enlightenment. If you think you have some secret special way to alter my perception as a Christian my friend, you are deluding yourself, or chasing the wind as they say
Frank Apisa

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 02:15 pm
@Amoh5,
Amoh5 wrote:

I don't disavow the words of Lord Jesus. I only disavow your queer sense of reasoning. I already explained to you Lord Jesus was speaking figuratively (short memory or reading?), the sword is the word of God his new testament, which will clash with Old Testament ideas within families... If you do not accept his new testament, you are not worthy of enlightenment. If you think you have some secret special way to alter my perception as a Christian my friend, you are deluding yourself, or chasing the wind as they say

By "Lord Jesus" I am assuming you mean the person who worshiped the god of that Old Testament, right?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 02:31 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
the sword is the word of God his new testament, which will clash with Old Testament ideas within families... If you do not accept his new testament, you are not worthy of enlightenment. If you think you have some secret special way to alter my perception as a Christian my friend, you are deluding yourself, or chasing the wind as they say

So what is figurative about that? That clearly means (and you apparently agree) that Jesus placed himself above family and if you reverse those roles, you are not worthy of him.