Schwarzenegger Stands by 'Girlie-Men' Line

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:58 am
Schwarzenegger Stands by 'Girlie-Men' Line
By TIM MOLLOY, AP

LOS ANGELES (July 19) - Democrats aren't amused by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's use of the mocking term "girlie men'' to describe some lawmakers, although a spokesman for the governor said no apology would be forthcoming.

Schwarzenegger dished out the insult at a rally Saturday as he claimed Democrats were delaying the budget by catering to special interests. Democrats protested that the remark was sexist and homophobic.

"If they don't have the guts to come up here in front of you and say, 'I don't want to represent you, I want to represent those special interests, the unions, the trial lawyers... if they don't have the guts, I call them girlie men,'' Schwarzenegger said to the cheering crowd at a mall food court in Ontario.

The governor lifted the term from a long-running "Saturday Night Live'' skit in which two pompous, Schwarzenegger-worshipping weightlifters repeatedly use it to mock those who don't meet their standards of physical perfection.

Democrats said Schwarzenegger's remarks were insulting to women and gays and distracted from budget negotiations. State Sen. Sheila Kuehl said the governor had resorted to "blatant homophobia.''

"It uses an image that is associated with gay men in an insulting way, and it was supposed to be an insult. That's very troubling that he would use such a homophobic way of trying to put down legislative leadership,'' said Kuehl, one of five members of the Legislature's five-member Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Caucus.

Schwarzenegger's criticism of Democrats stems in part from their support of one bill prohibiting schools from contracting services with private companies, and another giving workers authority to sue their employers to enforce labor laws. Each side accuses the other of caving in to special interests.

At a rally Sunday in Stockton, the governor gave a speech almost identical to the one he delivered in Ontario but without the "girlie men'' remark. Spokesman Rob Stutzman said the line was dropped because Schwarzenegger had already sent the message he wanted to send, not because he regretted his remarks.

"It's a forceful way of making the point to regular Californians that legislators are wimps when they let special interests push them around,'' Stutzman said. "If they complain too much about this, I guess they're making the governor's point.''

Assemblyman Mark Leno, a San Francisco Democrat who is chairman of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Caucus, said he was glad Schwarzenegger didn't repeat the "girlie men'' remark Sunday, saying it was "as misogynist as it is anti-gay.''

"To disparage a group of law abiding tax paying citizens is just wrong,'' Leno said.

Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez, a Democrat, said that while he wasn't upset by the remark, his 13-year-old daughter was.

"She's a young girl who knows the governor and really likes him a lot and didn't find the term to be a positive term, and finds it to be derogatory,'' Nunez said. "It was no question a very, very insensitive comment to make. I personally am not intimidated or threatened by it, but I think it really is beneath Gov. Schwarzenegger.''
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,680 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Redheat

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:17 am
It was an inappropriate remark, what is he 13 years old?

Amazing isn't it how the "liberal" media handles these things?

Cheney uses profainity on the Senate floor and it's OK, he doesn't apologize and the right wing hail him as telling it like it is.

Arnold calls Democrats "Girlie men" which insults woman and gays and he doesn't apologize and people think it's OK.

Dennis Miller makes sexual remarks about Kerry/Edwards and it's fine.

Woopie Goldberg makes sexual remarks that no one even heard and she is attacked, the story is headlined for a week and she loses her job!

Don't you just love that the Democrats have that "liberal" media to rely on Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:26 am
Redheat
Redheat, I wondered how low it would take "Super Hunk" to put his foot in his big mouth again. I said Arnold was a pig before he was elected. He is still a pig, only bigger.

BBB
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:32 am
They are "girlie men" so why shouldn't he call them on it?

How does calling Democrats "Girlie men" insult woman and gays? Are they suddenly butch? Or is it that women and gays don't want to be associated with democrats (which I can understand)?
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:35 am
McGentrix wrote:
They are "girlie men" so why shouldn't he call them on it?

How does calling Democrats "Girlie men" insult woman and gays? Are they suddenly butch? Or is it that women and gays don't want to be associated with democrats (which I can understand)?

If you don't know I won' t bother to tell you plus there is no way for me to draw you a picture.

BBB- Arnold showed us once again how those Republican higher values work. He isn't getting his way so what does he do? resort to name calling and insults out of frustration. What a leader.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:36 am
So it is the fact that women and gays don't wish to be associated with the democrats! I knew it!
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:38 am
McGentrix wrote:
So it is the fact that women and gays don't wish to be associated with the democrats! I knew it!

Only on the righty planet in which you reside.

Woman support Kerry OVER Bush which means of course that they are more Democrat as are Gay's so your premise is based on your fertile imagination and inablity to comprehend issues rather then fact.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:39 am
McGentrix
McGentrix, once again you have demonstrated everything you know in one sentence. Remarkable is the scope of your knowledge.

BBB Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:40 am
Then how is calling the democrats "girlie men" insulting to them?
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:42 am
Things getting a little tough in Sacramento A h n o l d .......? Welcome to the real world........! Hasta la vista baby.......
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:43 am
McGentrix wrote:
Then how is calling the democrats "girlie men" insulting to them?

Actually my guess is that Republicans would be more insulted due to their lack of security in their manhood. However it's inappropriate, uncalled for and illustrates Arnolds lack of leadership in that his ability to deal with opposition.

That's the point. It also shows the hypocrisy of the Republicans that don't feel they must apologize for these kinds of childish outbursts but they whine and cry when someone insults them.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:46 am
Oh, I see. You don't have an answer so you resort to merely throwing feces around hoping to hide behind it. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:47 am
Redheat wrote:
Actually my guess is that Republicans would be more insulted due to their lack of security in their manhood. However it's inappropriate, uncalled for and illustrates Arnolds lack of leadership in that his ability to deal with opposition.

Also, there is the fact that he used it AS an insult. To not take it as an insult would just be silly. And, if he insults the manhood of others in public speeches, he's probably not very secure himself.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:50 am
smog
smog, Arnold has a history of groping around looking for his secure manhood.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:51 am
Arnold
I think Arnold never would have been elected had it not been for the support and speechmaking of his wife, Maria. Once again, it was a woman who helped Arnold rise to the occasion.

BBB
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:59 am
http://www.cardmagnets.com/SNL/010.jpg

Ahnold is right!
Democrat girlie boys need some pumping up with real men like uns!
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:09 pm
LOL, the only people complaining are the girly men, and the girlies!
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:23 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Oh, I see. You don't have an answer so you resort to merely throwing feces around hoping to hide behind it. Rolling Eyes
]

What have you offered? You're always quick to comment on others inability to address what you think are valid questions while you play verbal sniper on just about every thread.

So to simplfy the matter and get off your victim hamster wheel I'll explain.

First- The term "Girlie" in refernce to "wuss" "coward" This implies that girls/women/females are all "wuss's" or "cowards" that they possess no courage or strength. This is an insult.

Second - "Girlie men" refers to most as there being "gay" translation = "wuss" "coward" this implying that all "gays" are cowards or lack courage. An insult. Not only on this level but in using this phrase in a derogatory manner insults all Gays.

Now do you understand? If not sorry but until such time as they provide a way for us to physically draw pictures for those who are unable to decipher words and retrieve their meaning this is the best I can do.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:51 pm
So, you think the governor of California, in front of the press, called all democrats "wussie homosexuals"?

You don't think for an instant he was merely referring to their inability to come forward and address the fact that they were stalling for time and bowing to special interest groups instead of performing their sworn duties of representing their constituency?

It was a political jibe to evoke action. Nothing more. The mere fact that the left gets their panties in a bunch over this is BECAUSE they are girlie men., oops, I'm sorry, wussie homosexuals.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 01:13 pm
McGentrix wrote:
So, you think the governor of California, in front of the press, called all democrats "wussie homosexuals"?

You don't think for an instant he was merely referring to their inability to come forward and address the fact that they were stalling for time and bowing to special interest groups instead of performing their sworn duties of representing their constituency?

It was a political jibe to evoke action. Nothing more. The mere fact that the left gets their panties in a bunch over this is BECAUSE they are girlie men., oops, I'm sorry, wussie homosexuals.

What I think is like any Republican Arnold showed that he cannot take the heat and resorted to his usual childish ways. Like groping young woman to which he thinks it's all a game. He has NO problem disespecting woman and he has no problems disrespecting the legislature because they are not bending to his will.

Again it was inappropriate, uncalled for and childish.
0 Replies