credit

WBYeats

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 03:52 am
situation:

You might put 'credit' on a card in multiples of $10; if you want to use the a/c, you have to pay $1/hour. You need to insert the card into a slot in a machine to activate the a/c in your room. If John's brother turns on the a/c for an hour, and John comes back, finding that his remaining $1 of the a/c service has been used, could John say?

-That's one credit from me.

'One credit/Two credit/Three credit' sounds not right, but I don't know any word we can use.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 534 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 04:39 am
If I were John I might say "My remaining credit of $1 has been used up". We are using credit here as a non-count (mass) noun - I have credit of $1; I need credit of $100; I used $10 credit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 04:55 am
If John were an American, he might say: "Well, that's a dollar out of my pocket." TYN is correct, credit is a noun of unspecified quantity.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 05:07 am
Thank you; but for Tes, do you mean we could say this or set this on the screen of the machine controlling the a/c?

-You have added one-dollar credit to the account of your room.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 05:28 am
@WBYeats,
Strictly speaking, "one dollar of credit" but in informal speech you could omit the "of".
WBYeats

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 11:05 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Good answer. Thank you.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 07:20 am
@WBYeats,
What are you trying to ask? Please explain clearly.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 12:13 pm
@WBYeats,
The word credit is used as a countable noun in cases where you are paying for a specific service. In my youth we went to video game arcades and for 25 cents you could get a token good for one game... or for 10 dollars you could get a few extra (i.e. 45 tokens for 10 dollars).

Each of these token was one credit. If you had 5 of them you had 5 credits. The machines would tell you how many credits you had.

I think this air conditioning scheme is much the same. I would say if you pay $10 you receive 10 credits.

WBYeats

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 01:33 am
@maxdancona,
Is your first language American Eng.?
0 Replies