THE TWO MINUTE WAIT IS AN ABOMINATION!

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 01:04 pm
I understand the problem you good people are trying to deal with...but you have used a howitzer to kill an annoying fly.

I love posting here...but if I have to sit for two minutes before posting a second post...it is a huge waste of my time.

I'll try to stick it out...but really...it is annoying as anything I've ever encountered in one of these forums.

Deep six this idea as soon as possible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 3,382 • Replies: 40

dalehileman

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 01:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Deep six this idea as soon as possible.
Amen Frank, Yes, Si, in cards, absolutely; say it once more, maybe in various tongues
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 01:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 01:37 pm
Had you been here the other morning, and had been obliged to wade through nine pages of spam to get to the new posts, i'm sure you'd have been bitching about that, too.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 01:43 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Had you been here the other morning, and had been obliged to wade through nine pages of spam to get to the new posts, i'm sure you'd have been bitching about that, too.

I've been through those mornings, Set, and I often wish the death penalty could be invoked when it happens. It is so frustrating and annoying...I cannot easily get through my morning...ummm...cleansing process.

But the impact on posting by the regulars all day long is a price too great (in my opinion.)

Seems like a ten or fifteen second delay would be sufficient. But...if the 120 seconds seems appropriate or necessary to the powers that be, we all will have to deal with it.

After I post this...and want to respond to someone else...I will again be bothered.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Clearly a2k is having a few technical problems of its own. Don't take it too personally Frank.

Just reported the problem to the HelpDesk. You can do that yourself Frank. You don't have to wait until others do it for ya.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Clearly a2k is having a few technical problems of its own. Don't take it too personally Frank.

Just reported the problem to the HelpDesk. You can do that yourself Frank. You don't have to wait until others do it for ya.

I did not see the TOS revision that requires that I do things the way you want me to do them...rather than the way I want to do them.

How do I get the changes?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Nothing requires you to do anything here at a2k. Whining about tech problems on a random thread won't get them addressed or fixed. Only sending a direct message to the help desk can get their collective attentions and hopefully to fix the system wide problem in a faster time then if they don't know about it at all.
Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:15 pm
Two individuals--just two--registered and flooded the site with nine pages of spam in a matter of minutes. I think the two and half minute flood control measure is a good way to deal with this kind of problem. Hopefully, the Gods of A2K will be considering more subtle measures. In the meantime, whining doesn't help.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:30 pm
How hard can it be to have spam controls on new members only? IDK, but we used to do that for PM's. A two month or 200 post probation period should solve the problem.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

How hard can it be to have spam controls on new members only? IDK, but we used to do that for PM's. A two month or 200 post probation period should solve the problem.

Seems that way to me, Hawk.

Gotta be SOMETHING better than a two minute wait after each post.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Only sending a direct message to the help desk
Tsar, how is it done
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 03:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Seems that way to me, Hawk.

Gotta be SOMETHING better than a two minute wait after each post.

Makes you wonder if spammers are not the only target, if people like me who routinely put up 20-40 posts a day are also targeted..... Dont it.
Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 03:12 pm
@dalehileman,
Jesus . . . do you have to have someone hold your hand and lead you down the street when you go to the corner store?
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 03:53 pm
Have you given any consideration to this possibly being a temporary measure to discourage the targeting of A2K by the 9-page spammers Set spoke of? From what I've seen, it is occurring on an almost nightly basis. Surely, a few days of this 2 minute posting delay is worth it if it disrupts the spammer enough that he moves on to another site.

I trust that if it was going to be a permanent change, the head hamsters would have made an announcement about it. Whereas, they would not announce a temporary measure that tells the spammer to just wait awhile before restarting the spam attacks.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 04:02 pm
@dalehileman,
Look at the bottom of any page and click "Contact Us."
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 04:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I totally agree with you here on this issue Hawkeye.

Quote:
A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, #740936 with the following response:

Thanks for contacting us.

As stated on the thread, this new setting was necessary because we have been under attack by spambots for several months now.

If left unchecked, these spammers post HUNDREDS of topics at a time.

Our volunteers can only do so much in the limited time they have to cover the site every day and keep able2know free of spam.

They really don't care about veteran posters who have been posting for years without a lick of spam in their history.
roger

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 04:23 pm
@Butrflynet,
I'm sure the mods will thank you for this.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 05:17 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Have you given any consideration to this possibly being a temporary measure to discourage the targeting of A2K by the 9-page spammers Set spoke of?

Let's hope it is temporary.

I did say to deep six it as soon as possible.
0 Replies