Social Anxiety Disorder: Yet Another Made Up Illness

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:42 pm
dlowan wrote:
Er - to be fair, anti-depressants are NOT "happy drugs".

No, they're not. They helped me get through the worst period in my life. Sometimes you need this help when overwhelmed by grief & anxiety & your best efforts to cope are not enough. Oh, and good counsellor, too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:52 pm
Agoraphobia is best descrbied as a panic disorder.

When I am sober ,I will tell you why.

It is important!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:53 pm
Enjoying yourself this lovely Sunday afternoon, Deb? Very Happy
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:55 pm
look's like she is.....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 12:02 am
Then I'm glad. Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 12:30 am
Ok, Deb, I'll check back to your first post tomorrow. I'm not entirely sober and it's vera late, er, early here. I do realize they aren't happy drugs, sorry for the glib nickname. Off to sleepies for me.....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 01:32 am
Okay, I was ranting about this because of a commercial I saw. It is from ignorance, I guess, that I came up with my simple rant about it.

But...

I went out tonight with a friend, and coincidentally, his daughter was prescribed Zoloft. He says she was prescribed it because she's been diagnosed as depressive. He also says that since she's been on it, she's been making him even more afraid that she'll try killing herself than when she was non-chemically enhanced.

I just think that these scumbag drug companies are capitalists before anything, and it doesn't matter to them what happens as long as the f*cking stockholders are happy. They go out and sell, sell, sell, to hospitals and healthcare facilities, even before they know exactly what the possible downsides are of their drugs. And they give incentives to hospitals to prescribe their little pills over the little pills of some other scumbag pharmaceutical company.

Of course there are real cases that could be helped this way, but shouldn't this be the last resort, instead of the simple solution?

I think the way these things are marketed makes a mockery of real people with real problems, and pushes people who otherwise might just deal with and work through there own problems towards this seemingly simple solution. It's about as ethical as giving heroin to a teenager who is bored.

Okay, rant #2 over.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 02:21 am
mikey wrote:
look's like she is.....

Lol! I love Shundays and birthday partiesh......

NOW I am shober!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 02:22 am
Well, no arguments re the drug companies - and boy, do they sem to have sold the USA a pup....
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 04:59 am
Drugs may be prescribed too freely today, but no one's forcing anyone to fill the Rx and if you're a sane adult, no one is forcing you to take the medication.

If you have a medical problem,you visit an MD and seek a solution to your problem. If you didn't want help, why did you visit the MD and if you know more than the MD, who's supposed to be treating you, than perhaps you need to treat yourself.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 05:00 am
dlowan wrote:
Well, no arguments re the drug companies - and boy, do they sem to have sold the USA a pup....

Do you have specific pharmaceuticals in mind? Cool
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 05:04 am
dlowan wrote:
Misti26 wrote:
I tend to agree with you that drugs are too freely prescribed these days ... however, most people taking these drugs would otherwise be walking around like zombies.

The reason for this is that the new drugs are life-saving for most people, and the fact that they are non-narcotic is evident that they are pro-life as opposed to "whassup" life?

Get it?

Which drugs and which conditions are you speaking of, Misti?

Many of the medications used for the treatment of hypertension today, are far less sedating than those used 10-20 years ago. This advancement in medicinal chemistry has allowed individuals to control their blood pressure, and as these meds are less sedating, permits patients to have a better quality of life.

I could add, that many of the medications used today for the treatment of seizure disorders also allow a better quality of life for the patient, as well as better seizure control.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 06:06 am
Miller wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Yes - the folk who push anti-depressants, speed for ADD and tranquilizers willy nilly.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 06:08 am
Miller wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Misti26 wrote:
I tend to agree with you that drugs are too freely prescribed these days ... however, most people taking these drugs would otherwise be walking around like zombies.

The reason for this is that the new drugs are life-saving for most people, and the fact that they are non-narcotic is evident that they are pro-life as opposed to "whassup" life?

Get it?

Which drugs and which conditions are you speaking of, Misti?

Many of the medications used for the treatment of hypertension today, are far less sedating than those used 10-20 years ago. This advancement in medicinal chemistry has allowed individuals to control their blood pressure, and as these meds are less sedating, permits patients to have a better quality of life.

I could add, that many of the medications used today for the treatment of seizure disorders also allow a better quality of life for the patient, as well as better seizure control.

I understood this thread to be about anti-depressants and such for anxiety, not about medicine for illnesses such as hypertension etc.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 10:58 am
Our Dear Wabbit, you shouldn't encourage Chaiya . . .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 11:03 am
Miller, that reasoning doesn't really work for me. It's a prescription. Doctors should be responsible for the prescriptions that they write.

Americans are basically, in my opinion, lazy - always opting for the least difficult route to fixing a problem, even if it's not the best one. We are a society dependent on things that make life easier - prozac, et al, makes life easier.

So, your average American would just assume take the easy way out of a depression to maintain their happy shiny, sparkle sparkle lifestyle. Doctors should make patients work for it (counseling) if they are also going to prescribe meds.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 11:04 am
The problem with getting some people medicated enough to finally go out is ....well, go to an AOL on line friends gathering once and you'll see what I'm getting at.....some people belong at home with their keyboards....
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 11:09 am
littlek wrote:
Miller, that reasoning doesn't really work for me. It's a prescription. Doctors should be responsible for the prescriptions that they write.

Americans are basically, in my opinion, lazy - always opting for the least difficult route to fixing a problem, even if it's not the best one. We are a society dependent on things that make life easier - prozac, et al, makes life easier.

So, your average American would just assume take the easy way out of a depression to maintain their happy shiny, sparkle sparkle lifestyle. Doctors should make patients work for it (counseling) if they are also going to prescribe meds.

In a managed care setting today, there's little time for that type of doctor-patient interaction. Confused
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 11:11 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
The problem with getting some people medicated enough to finally go out is ....well, go to an AOL on line friends gathering once and you'll see what I'm getting at.....some people belong at home with their keyboards....

True. Some folks are introverts, while others suffer a panic reaction at the first thought of leaving their homes. Cool
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 11:14 am
dlowan wrote:
Miller wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Yes - the folk who push anti-depressants, speed for ADD and tranquilizers willy nilly.

I don't think these medications are Rxed willy/nilly. That's a solid basis for the prescriber as well as the pharmacist to lose his/her license. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies