Adding friends on Facebook

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 08:49 pm
Hello.

I'm wanting to add a couple of friends on Facebook but those friends are friends with this person (A), who I don't want knowing that I have an account. Is this possible?

I've tried hiding the new friend notifications (when FB notifies the friends on your list that you've become friends with someone and it shows up on their newsfeed) using my computer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 733 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 05:26 am
@pennie ,
You are probably stuck, because unless you can get the new friends to also hide their notifications from this person, those notifications will go out.

It's a pair of notifications that normally go out when we add friends.

If you add my friend Dave, then Facebook has two changes to its database:
  • pennie added Dave as a friend
  • Dave added pennie as a friend

I am Dave's friend so I get a notification that he has changed things on his account, unless he takes steps to hide that (most people don't).

One thing to throw out there about Facebook - over 1.4 Billion (yes, that's with a B) users are on it. Even if you don't explicitly tell someone that you are on FB, most people will dope that out on their own. It's a lot like hiding the fact that you have a street address or a phone number in a directory somewhere.

Why not just openly friend these people and block the other person? They will get a notification, e. g. "Dave added pennie as a friend" but that'll be it. It might even be more subtle than that, and just a notification of "Dave added three friends".
pennie

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 10:51 pm
@jespah,
Apologies for the late response. Thank you so very much for taking the time out to explain all that in detail. Thank you thank you thank you Smile

jespah

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:37 am
@pennie ,
Oh, my pleasure Smile
0 Replies