??? Helping baby sleep through the night ???

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 01:12 pm
Shewolfnm - that is the best way. Go for really short intervals, that way neither you or your baby feel uncomfortable or anxious. It will not work if either of you feel uncomfortable. I cannot vouch for age as my daughter was older when we used Dr. Ferber and my younger baby did not need this as she has been a great sleeper and slept on her own from one month old.

It makes perfect sense. You want the baby to understand you are not abandoning her and that you will return. That is the whole thought process behind going in her room saying a few comforting words and then leaving (without picking her up). You do not want her to have separation anxiety. You want her to know you are there and has confidence that you will return. It is hard to listen to your baby cry even for 2 minutes. 2 minutes feels like 20 when it is your little baby. Just be realistic about what you can handle and what you feel your baby can. Most get over it quicker than the parents do. What I can suggest is definitely do what is comfortable for you all.
0 Replies