Does he feel sorry for me? Is he doing all this out of guilt?

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 02:06 pm
I was doing my undergrad when I lost my virginity to a guy who was doing his masters degree. He broke up with me soon after breaking my virginity. He's excuse was that 'I was too good for him' and told me about the many affairs he was having including one with someone that I knew. He told me on more than one occasion that I should finish my degree first.

I failed so I couldn't finish my degree. We've had little communication over the years(3 years) and recently he moved close to where I live.

Early this year he contacted me, the message he sent said 'I know I'm probably the last person you want to see but I was hoping we could meet.'

When we finally met he said that he thought I hated him because of what happened and thought he had caused me to fail. I told him that he wasn't the cause I had my own issues then. He said if I ever needed anything I should tell him.

Every time when I ask for something he always comes through (because of my current situation I've been asking for a lot Sad). But he hardly ever initiates contact. If I'm around where he lives or his work I tell him and I see him. When he sees a job post or bursary he sends it to me (that's the only time he initiates contact)

Now I want to know why is he helping me. Is it because he feels guilty of what he did to me, he feels sorry for me or he just genuinely cares? I don't want to ask him. Please help.

Thanking you in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,003 • Replies: 6
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 02:17 pm
@MbuziPhendula,
It sounds to me like he wants a friendship. I think you should accept this. It is a good thing to have friends who care about you.

Do you want more than that?

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 03:46 pm
@MbuziPhendula,
It sounds as if he is now a decent person who realises that he took your virginity and left, perhaps feels bad as he's matured, perhaps despite you stating it's not his fault that you didn't pass, he feels that he contributed to it.

Maybe he did.

It's a very big emotion to lose your virginity to someone and then, they leave.

It's a nice friendship but friendships go two ways, be sure to be there for him as well, not just him there for you or you will lose it.

He hasn't asked you for anything, he doesn't initiate contact, he merely is there as an ear or to try to help you, take it for what it is. It should also make you feel good considering his initial action then thought of same, thereafter.
Paaskynen

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 01:51 pm
@MbuziPhendula,
It is possible that he does feel guilty, but more likely that he is trying to connect with someone he knows and trying to improve your situation so as to make you more eligible.
0 Replies

MbuziPhendula

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 12:58 am
@maxdancona,
I still love him. And by the looks of things he only wants friendship. I can't give him that. Maybe the best thing is to just cut all contact with him. Can't torture myself like this. If we continue being friends I will always have hope that maybe one day he will love me just as much but I know that will not happen.
0 Replies

MbuziPhendula

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 01:00 am
@maxdancona,
I still love him. And by the looks of things he only wants friendship. I can't give him that. Maybe the best thing is to just cut all contact with him. Can't torture myself like this. If we continue being friends I will always hope that maybe one day he will love me just as much but I know that will not happen.
0 Replies

MbuziPhendula

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 01:23 am
@FOUND SOUL,
You are right about friendship. A few months ago he complained and I apologized. I realised how selfish I had been. I just felt that he didn't need anything from me.
0 Replies