One need not accept anything on insufficient evidence to find the virgin birth of Jesus to be...?

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 09:31 am
Does "One need not accept anything on insufficient evidence to find the virgin birth of Jesus to be a preposterous idea" refer to "One need not accept anything on insufficient evidence with which the virgin birth of Jesus can be proved as a preposterous idea"?

Well, the core of the question is that I failed to get its nuance in grammar.

Context:

It is time that Christians like yourself stop pretending that a rational rejection of your faith entails the blind embrace of atheism as a dogma. One need not accept anything on insufficient evidence to find the virgin birth of Jesus to be a preposterous idea. The problem with religion - as with Nazism, Stalinism, or any other totalitarian mythology- is the problem of dogma itself. I know of no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too desirous of evidence in support of their core beliefs.

-Sam Harris Letter to a Christian Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 352 • Replies: 2
No top replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 05:22 pm
@oristarA,
Better yet, tell Christians to read up on other virgin births of religious figures. Sorry folks, but Jesus wasn't the first supposed virgin birth religious figure (or Messiah for that matter.) Given the many that came before, Christianity just looks like a bad imitation of things that got tried before.
oristarA

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 11:13 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
Thanks for the information.
But you haven't answered my grammatical question.
0 Replies