America, Ensign of Freedom

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:10 pm
I believe God has a plan for America as an ensign for freedom, that together we may bring freedom to many.

I dreamed of a liberator who would make men free,
I asked who and when it would be,
I asked and prayed until I could see,
The answer is now, me,
And the Land of the Free.

If we are to accomplish this we must join together as Americans and fight against oppression, starting with joining together to support the continued war in Iraq. For we are fighting for freedom there, and we must win.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,947 • Replies: 21
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:16 pm
Okie dokie, lt, no need to post this in three seperate forums. One will suffice, and you will get more response that way.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:19 pm
I don't believe in (a) God. That is, not at the moment. Maybe, one day :wink: From that point of view, I can not agree with you lt_stapley (will I burn in Hell for this remark?)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:19 pm
I believe America will be looked at by history as a shining example of how to take the most and reduce it to the least in the shortest amount of time unless we make some major changes and quickly.....
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:21 pm
And what is the definition of worldwide freedom? Can only America decide that? Even in Europe, freedom can have another meaning than in the US. Does that mean we should be fought against?
0 Replies

lt stapley

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:40 pm
I don't know about others definition of freedom but mine is to be able to choose what you want and not have others forcing you do things you don't want to do. And to me, the fact that the sun rises everyday is proof to me that there is a God, and he cares for us.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:44 pm
lt_stapley wrote:
I don't know about others definition of freedom but mine is to be able to choose what you want and not have others forcing you do things you don't want to do.

Two weeks ago, Rome. Met an American girl from Detroit. I believe freedom is the right to abortion, gay marriage and euthanasia. She didn't. I respect that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:50 pm
I see the portion of the earth which i inhabit turn so that it faces the sun each morning, and that is proof to me that spin is at the heart of everything.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:55 pm
Setanta wrote:
I see the portion of the earth which i inhabit turn so that it faces the sun each morning, and that is proof to me that spin is at the heart of everything.

arf arf!!!!! (loosely translated= right on big dawg.....)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 02:55 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Two weeks ago, Rome. Met an American girl from Detroit. I believe freedom is the right to abortion, gay marriage and euthanasia. She didn't. I respect that.

Commie!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 08:14 am
Commie?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 08:22 am
It looks like one of the most important freedoms is beginning to surface:
freedom from U.S. domination! Shocked
0 Replies

lt stapley

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:52 am
U.S. domination? What domination?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:05 am
lt-Stapley
lt-stapley, it might help if Bush and his administration understood the Middle East better, including the difference in meaning of language.

One example glares above all others to demonstrate that lack of knowledge. "Freedom." Freedom means one thing to the western world. In an Arab Muslim country, "Freedom" literally means "privileged and exempt." Ironically, the privileged elite in the US tend to understand a similar meaning of freedom, too.

When Bush keeps blabbering about "freedom" he is sending a message of support of the privileged and exempt despotic and corrupt dictators that plague the Arab world against the common welfare of the people.

There are too many other examples to go into here, but our ignorance of that culture will be our undoing and failure.

BBB
0 Replies

lt stapley

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:48 am
I agree with you wholeheartedly, Bush is only human and is bound to make mistakes, that doesn't mean he can't learn from them. Studying Arab culture would help us tremensely, but we must also help them understand our culture, so that they can understand what we mean when we say freedom. Understanding comes before mutual respect, if we are expected to understand them, they should be expected to understand us, don't you agree?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:53 am
lt-stapley
lt-stapley, of course understanding both cultures would help. The trouble is that their perception of our culture as sexually perverse (as reinforced in the Iraq prison photos exposed and even worse not exposed) is contrary to Islam's doctrine. Add to that the fact that we invaded them, and you can see the scope of the problem.

BBB
0 Replies

lt stapley

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 12:11 pm
We have many muslims living in the U.S., and most of them whole-heartedly celebrated Independance Day, maybe we should our American Muslims as ambassadars, they can be the mediators and help bring about peace.
0 Replies

Earl Grey

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 04:50 pm
Re: America, Ensign of Freedom
lt_stapley wrote:
I believe God has a plan for America as an ensign for freedom, that together we may bring freedom to many.

When I started reading this I thought it was hilarious, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe it is not meant to be satirical?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 05:07 pm
Welcome Earl Grey! This exact topic has been posted in at least three different forums, which indicates to me that it is indeed serious. Shocked Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:02 pm
lt_stapley wrote:
I don't know about others definition of freedom but mine is to be able to choose what you want and not have others forcing you do things you don't want to do. And to me, the fact that the sun rises everyday is proof to me that there is a God, and he cares for us.

Okay: I am a US citizen. I want to choose not to pay taxes to pay for our military to needlessly attack other countries. Yet, if I am forced, (under threat of prison), to pay taxes for this purpose. If I choose not pay taxes, I will eventually be thrown in prison by the US government. Because I chose to do what I wanted.

How, then, is this free? (using your definition above).

I submit that we are not as free as some would have us believe.
0 Replies