Medicare Redefines Obesity As an Illness

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 09:09 am
Medicare Redefines Obesity As an Illness
Jul 16, 7:47 AM (ET)
By ELIZABETH WOLFE

WASHINGTON (AP) - Medicare now recognizes obesity as an illness, a change in policy that may allow millions of overweight Americans to make medical claims for treatments such as stomach surgery and diet programs.

Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson said, "Obesity is a critical public health problem in our country that causes millions of Americans to suffer unnecessary health problems and to die prematurely."

Treating obesity-related illnesses results in billions of dollars in health care costs, Thompson said.

"With this new policy, Medicare will be able to review scientific evidence in order to determine which interventions improve health outcomes for seniors and disabled Americans who are obese," Thompson told a Senate panel on Thursday.

With the removal of language in Medicare policy that said obesity is not an illness, beneficiaries will be able to request a government review of medical evidence to determine whether certain treatments for obesity can be covered.

Though Medicare and Medicaid programs cover sicknesses caused by obesity - including type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, several types of cancer and gallbladder disease - the previous policy meant that weight-loss therapies have often been denied coverage.

"The medical science will now determine whether we provide coverage for the treatments that reduce complications and improve quality of life for the millions of Medicare beneficiaries who are obese," said Mark McClellan, administrator of the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which oversees health insurance programs for the elderly, disabled and poor.

Some detractors of the change said it is based on unsound science.

"We have a tremendously exaggerated fear of higher than average weight in this culture," said University of Colorado law professor Paul Campos, author of "The Obesity Myth."

"What's partly baseless is this notion that the government needs to intervene to make Americans thinner," Campos said.

HHS said the policy change is not expected to immediately alter Medicare coverage, and no figures were provided on potential costs to taxpayers. The Medicare agency said it may meet this fall to review scientific evidence on various surgical procedures related to obesity.
------------------------------------------

On the Net:

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,285 • Replies: 11
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 09:19 am
Great! Now I can go out and stuff myself at the buffet table every day and my insurance will cover it!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 09:38 am
Nick
Nick, life-threatening obesity is not something to make fun of. My daughter has fought it most of her life and sadly, she is losing the battle with great risk to her life. There are many reasons for obesity and over eating is only one.

BBB
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 11:43 am
According to the Center for Disease control--figure supplied by the American Funeral Association--17% of Americans over 65 are obese.

Quote:
Like the airline industry, which was warned in May that passengers were heavier than they used to be, and was asked to adjust weight estimates accordingly, the funeral industry is retooling to make room for ever-larger Americans. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 20 percent of American adults are obese, up from 12.5 percent in 1991. Of those 70 and older - the demographic that most interests the funeral industry - 17 percent are obese. Despite the numbers, nearly every aspect of the funeral industry, from the size of coffins to vaults, graves, hearses and even the standardized scoop on the front-end loaders that cemeteries use for grave-digging (it is called a "grave bucket") is based on outdated estimates about individual size.

http://www.taphophilia.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=321
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:04 pm
Re: Nick
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Nick, life-threatening obesity is not something to make fun of. My daughter has fought it most of her life and sadly, she is losing the battle with great risk to her life. There are many reasons for obesity and over eating is only one.

BBB

Genes and the emotions also play important roles. Sad
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:46 am
Thanks for the article, Noddy! I'm glad to see they're facing facts. However, people are not just getting heavier...they're getting taller & larger, too.

(For example: My 17 yr. old niece wears size 12 shoes...she's 5'11"...and she doesn't have a huge problem finding that size in stores anymore. I remember when ladies' shoes very rarely came in sizes above 10.)

I'm glad to see that the funeral industry is facing facts. Now, if only we could get the airline industry to do the same. Even average-sized people are crammed into those seats!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:03 am
I have to admit, I have mixed feelings about this. For those who are obese due to real pre-existing medical conditions, (diabetes, glandular problems, congenital problems) and there are many more, I think it's a good thing. On the other hand, many many Americans get obese simply from eating too much crap. If I was in insurance, I don't think I would want to cover a person for health problems connected with obesity if they brought it upon themselves by not eating a healthful diet.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:36 am
Even voluntary obesity costs insurance companies and Medicare/Medicade a lot of money--and ultimately the price is paid by those of normal weight.

Last year my Blue Cross/Blue Shield company introduced the "Silver Sneakers" program (paid for off-hours exercise time at participating "Y's" and private clubs. They wouldn't do this if peeling off fat and increasing fitness would ultimately save them money.

I've been slowly losing weight for a year and a half now, by eating less and moving more. Mr. Noddy--who has passed the obesity borderline--has not been losing. I'm not enough of a support group to inspire and motivate, but a congenial gym class and Official Nutrition Advice, might peel off the pounds.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:57 am
At the end of the day, medcare is covering health problems anyway so preventative medicine is probably cheaper, whether humpty is eating right or not. Same goes for helping people quit smoking (I'm referring, of course, to those wussies who can't hack doing it themselves Razz ). I wouldn't mind seeing larger people shouldering a larger co-pay, Idea however... and while your at it charge them smelly smokers triple! Twisted Evil Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 12:22 pm
OB
OB, watch it! Your ex-smoker smirk could taint your reputation.

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 11:29 am
Obesity that results from a genetic error in lipid metabolism, is probably the only form of the "disease" of obesity, that should be covered by some form of medicare.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 11:34 am
Miller
Miller, would you deny payment for people whose obesity is caused by physical disabilities? Mine is and so are millions of others. I'm unable to exercise due to injuries ; even walking is difficult. Without exercise trying to loose weight by diet alone won't work.

I suggest you need to broaden your knowledge before making such ill-formed pronouncements.

BBB
0 Replies