Half Hot Question

Sun 16 Aug, 2015 11:41 pm
I have an outlet under the sink that I want to convert to a half hot so that I can run a dishwasher and a garbage disposal. The outlet has 3 wires going to it, black to top brass lead, white to neutral, and copper to ground.

The switch that controls that outlet is located above the counter and has a GFI outlet next to it. The switch doesn't have a ground wire, there is a black wire to top brass contact and lower brass contact has a red wire which is pig tied to power.

The white wire for the switch is pig tied and the ground wire for the switch is combined with the ground wire and connected to the GFI.

My question is, what is the easiest way to set up the outlet under the sink to be a half hot?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,280 • Replies: 1
Topic Closed
No top replies

mesquite

Mon 17 Aug, 2015 06:29 pm
@hotmouse,
hotmouse wrote:

I have an outlet under the sink that I want to convert to a half hot so that I can run a dishwasher and a garbage disposal. The outlet has 3 wires going to it, black to top brass lead, white to neutral, and copper to ground.

The switch that controls that outlet is located above the counter and has a GFI outlet next to it. The switch doesn't have a ground wire, there is a black wire to top brass contact and lower brass contact has a red wire which is pig tied to power.

The white wire for the switch is pig tied and the ground wire for the switch is combined with the ground wire and connected to the GFI.

My question is, what is the easiest way to set up the outlet under the sink to be a half hot?

If I understand you correctly the outlet is currently a switched outlet where the switch controls the entire outlet. You will need to break the link between the two halves of the hot side of the outlet (brass narrow blade). Then you will need to run an additional wire to power the unswitched always hot half of the outlet. If you get the hot wire from the GFI, be sure to get it from the load side of the GFI.

Here is a diagram of what you want to end up with. The new wire is the lower right one.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&ved=0CAYQjBwwAGoVChMInJiC_viwxwIVCo8NCh3L6gLd&url=https%3A%2F%2Fknoji.com%2Fimages%2Fuser%2Foutlet-half-hot-diagram.jpg&ei=iULSVdyvBoqeNsvVi-gN&psig=AFQjCNGukx9PbaI2WsIXSxyJ3pfw9ONfgw&ust=1439929353233127
Here is some additional guidance.

How to Wire a Half Hot Outlet

0 Replies