Electrical Outlet Ground Up or Down

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 01:53 pm
Which direction would you prefer to install your electrical outlet? To have the ground up or down? This video did give me a good reason the have the ground up on an outlet but I'm still debating because I don't like the way it looks. What are your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmVH5En6x6o
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,220 • Replies: 2
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 02:50 pm
I presume you mean US style outlets? Many other countries have different style outlets and some have rules so there is no choice. As for the US style outlets, in that country there is no code requirement for any particular orientation, and you can find equal numbers of arguments for ground up and ground down. Also ground left and ground right. It is a topic that has been done to death on web discussion sites. Verdict: do what you want.

Two arguments for each orientation:

The outlet should be oriented with the ground pin up because if the plug comes slightly loose and a metal object were to fall from above, the ground plug, which usually does not carry current, would deflect the object so that it would not hit is live prongs. It is accepted that this idea began in health care facilities where many tools used for patient care are metal. The story goes that hospitals were wired by union electricians and as the unions grew the practice spread to other types of buildings.

The outlet should be oriented with the ground pin up because this pin is longer and the plastic around the plug is meatier, so it will help to keep the plug inserted in the outlet.

The outlet should be oriented with the ground pin down because a person grabbing the outlet will have their index finger at the bottom side of the plug and the index finger sticks out further than the thumb. Having the ground down will keep a person's index finger from touching the live pins.

The outlet should be oriented with the ground pin down because many common household items such as nightlights, timers, and battery chargers are oriented with the ground pin down. In addition, GFCI outlets, which have text on the reset and test buttons, are oriented with the ground pin down (and the text readable).
0 Replies

RayEGarcia

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:32 am
If this video not giving you proper solution then you must concern with electrician. He will definitely help you.
0 Replies