Replacing electrical outlet

Gazamon

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 05:39 pm
Hi folks,
I’m replacing a standard 15a electrical outlet with a newer one. The old one is falling apart. I’ve replaced the outlet however when I test the outlet with a voltage tester I get a reading from both the neutral and hot slots. Every other outlet in my home only shows the hot slot as live. In addition if I touch the metal piece where the screws go with the voltage tester it also reads live as well as all the plastic on the outlet. I’ve replaced at least 50 outlets in my life time and for the life of me cannot figure this one out. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
gas
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 962 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 11:51 am
@Gazamon,
Quote:
I get a reading from both the neutral and hot slots
Gaz I presume you're measuring from 'ground'

Quote:
the metal piece where the screws go
I s'poze, Mon, u have ref to the metal box that houses the outlet. If that's the case, then I'm still at kind of a loss as to where your're measuring from, that is where you're holdin' the black prod

Quote:
as well as all the plastic on the outlet
Hard to understand how plastic could 'measure hot'

Apparetly you're newcomer to a2k, welcome. We have some really smart guys here, and I'm hopin' we'll hear from some, who might better understand your prob
0 Replies

seac

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 05:50 pm
@Gazamon,
You are using the touch type voltage sensor? Maybe in this case, a regular VOM might be better. Sometimes the touch type will detect voltage all over the outlet because the hot wire is showing presence all over it.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 07:04 pm
@seac,
Seac I presume the 'touch type' depends on some sort of capitative coupling. Indeed one of the reasons I don't use a 'modern' device with high input resistance
seac

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 10:11 pm
@dalehileman,
Yes Dale, the touch sensor works on capacitive coupling. There is an explanation of why the white wire shows active voltage, it is here;
http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uses/comunidad/fluke-news-plus/articlecategories/electrical/capacitivevoltage
dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 10:28 pm
@seac,
Thanks Seac for that link
0 Replies